History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Middleton St. George, Darlington

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5056 / 54°30'20"N

Longitude: -1.4633 / 1°27'47"W

OS Eastings: 434849

OS Northings: 512391

OS Grid: NZ348123

Mapcode National: GBR LJ6B.ZM

Mapcode Global: WHD78.H0DQ

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 27 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185932

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350457

Location: Middleton St. George, Darlington, DL2

County: Darlington

Civil Parish: Middleton St George

Built-Up Area: Middleton St George

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Middleton St George

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Middleton One Row

Listing Text

MIDDLETON ST. GEORGE CHURCH LANE
NZ 31 SW (North side)
Middleton One Row

8/54 Church of
St. Lawrence

II

Parish church. 1871 by J.P. Pritchett; early C20 combined Vicar's and Choir
vestry. Squared rock-faced sandstone in narrow courses with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roofs. Aisleless nave with porch on south, original vestry (now
kitchen) on north and choir/vicar's vestry added on west end; tower with spire
in south-east angle between nave and chancel; chancel with organ chamber on
north. Geometrical-style tracery.

Tower of 3 stages: angle-buttressed lower stage with trefoil-headed lancets
and pointed east doorway; short second stage with cut-back corners; octagonal
belfry with trefoil-headed bell openings under hoodmoulds; tall octagonal
stone spire. Nave: angle-buttressed west end with large sexfoil window and
truncated stack; 4-bay south side has chamfered plinth, sill string, 2-light
windows under hoodmoulds with headstops and roll-moulded pointed doorway, with
red sandstone colonnettes, inside gabled porch with similar doorway and
trefoiled lancets on returns. Blocked 4-bay arcade of pointed arches with
inserted 2-light windows on north side (a north aisle was intended but never
built). Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel: similar details and large 3-light
pointed east window. Very steeply-pitched roofs with coped gables. North
vestry has pointed north doorway and pent roof. Organ chamber similar.
Flat-roofed 4-bay choir/vicar's vestry has lancets and pointed doorway on
south.

Plain and plastered interior: tall pointed chancel arch, outer order chamfered,
inner order with 3 roll mouldings on squat responds. 1957 stained glass
window by L.C. Evetts in north wall in memory of Rev. P.W. Francis. 4 arch-
braced scissor trusses in nave roof; panelled barrel roof in chancel.


Listing NGR: NZ3484912391

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.