History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cummins Engine Factory Including Chimney

A Grade II* Listed Building in Morton Palms, Darlington

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.518 / 54°31'4"N

Longitude: -1.5107 / 1°30'38"W

OS Eastings: 431771

OS Northings: 513739

OS Grid: NZ317137

Mapcode National: GBR KJW6.Q6

Mapcode Global: WHC5X.RPTT

Entry Name: The Cummins Engine Factory Including Chimney

Listing Date: 23 September 1992

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1185948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 350503

Location: Morton Palms, Darlington, DL1

County: Darlington

Civil Parish: Morton Palms

Built-Up Area: Darlington

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Sadberge

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Middleton One Row

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

GREAT BURDON YARM ROAD

NZ 31 SW The Cummins Engine Factory
1389-0/8/1 including chimney

II*

The address shall be amended to read:-

NZ 31 SW MORTON PALMS YARM ROAD

The Cummins Engine Factory
1 389-0/8/1 including chimney

II*

------------------------------------
GREAT BURDON YARM ROAD

NZ 31 SW The Cummins Engine Factory
1389-0/8/1 including Chimney

II*

Former Engine Factory. Constructed 1964-5. Designed by Kevin Roche,
John Dinkerloo and Associates. Structural frame of exposed Cor-ten
steel weathered to a brown, patina grey-brown tinted glass, fixed with
neoprene gaskets. Single storey building rectangular in plan, divided
into office and workshop areas by a service core. Flat roof. Floor
to ceiling glazing, each vertical glazing panel divided into five
horizontal lights. Structural steel frame of 'I' beams set proud of
glazing, which forms continuous surface behind frame. Projecting
'cornice' of steel, and below this, at intersections with vertical
members are expressed the jutting beam-ends of the roof supports.
Central entrance to left return comprising 2 pairs of fully glazed
doors, each pair occupying one bay of glazing. Tall rectangular
chimney of Cor-ten steel to left side of front elevation, slightly in
front of elevation. Interior also of note retaining original internal
partitions of brown-painted steel and glass, and original strip
lighting arranged in rows. Roof structure designed to permit services
to be run between the main structural beams and those of the roof
deck. First use in a British building of Cor-ten steel, and first
large scale use in Britain of neoprene gaskets in a building.


Listing NGR: NZ3177113739

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.