This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.7908 / 54°47'26"N
Longitude: -1.6954 / 1°41'43"W
OS Eastings: 419683
OS Northings: 544028
OS Grid: NZ196440
Mapcode National: GBR JFL1.RF
Mapcode Global: WHC4G.XVT6
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 17 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185953
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350512
Location: Esh, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Esh
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Esh and Hamsteels
Church of England Diocese: Durham
ESH FRONT STREET
NZ 14 SE (South side)
10/6 Church of
Parish church. 1770 rebuilding, dated on interior, on medieval site; extensive
alterations in 1850; south porch added 1884. Coursed squared sandstone rubble,
thinly rendered in places, with ashlar plinth and dressings; roof of graduated
Lakeland slates, and porch roof stone-flagged,with stone gable copings. Nave
with south porch and transept; chancel with north porch. Gabled porch has
chamfered, cusped 2-centred-arched surround to boarded door with ornamental
hinges, in shafted, roll-moulded arch with leaf-stopped dripmould; side
buttresses, stone cross finial. Nave has Perpendicular style 3-light north
window, 2 cusped south windows; 2-light west window with bar tracery, and
blocked spherical-triangular window above, under gabled bellcote with fleur-
de-lys finial. Transept has 2-light Decorated-style window under gable with
side buttresses, and paired lancets in east wall; external chimney-stack at
south-east. Chancel has 4-light Perpendicular-style south window, 3-light
Decorated-style east window. Paired cusped ogee lights in north porch and
shouldered arch and lights on north front; external chimney stack. Stone cross
finials; medieval-style chimneys.
Interior: inner porch has trailing iron foliage decoration. Painted plaster
with ashlar dressings; boarded dado beside pews; boarded, panelled roof on
cornice, with Tudor-flower bosses on chancel panels. Chamfered transept arch
with similar inner arch on corbelled round shafts. Low square-headed piscina,
slightly-chamfered, in south chancel wall. Hollow-chamfered rerearches and
2-centred-arched vestry door. Organ in transept. Glass includes south nave
window by G.J. Baguley, north nave war memorial by Atkinson Bros., both of
Newcastle upon Tyne. Lee memorial in transept by H.M. Barnet of the same town.
Plaque in nave signed Walker and Emley, and dated 1884 for gift of porch and
transept window in memory of former vicar. Early C14 effigy,against south
wall of transept,has slightly-eroded costume detail; headless effigy of child
wrapped in christening cloth on south window-sill of transept.
Sources: W. Stuart White, Registers of the Ancient Chapel of Esh, Newcastle
1896, III; C. Hunter Blair, 'Medieval Effigies in the County of Durham' in
Archaeologia Aeliana, 4 VI Nos. XXXII and LXI.
Listing NGR: NZ1968344028
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings