This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8379 / 54°50'16"N
Longitude: -1.6905 / 1°41'25"W
OS Eastings: 419975
OS Northings: 549276
OS Grid: NZ199492
Mapcode National: GBR JDMH.TJ
Mapcode Global: WHC49.0N8K
Entry Name: Little Holmside
Listing Date: 17 January 1967
Last Amended: 24 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185989
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350596
Location: Burnhope, County Durham, DH7
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Burnhope
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Lanchester and Burnhope
Church of England Diocese: Durham
LANCHESTER GREEN LANE
NZ 14 NE (East side)
6/89 Little Holmside
17/1/67 (formerly listed as Little
Holmside Farm) Holmside
New Hall on map)
House. Dated 1668 for Timothy Whittingham in inscription over door; mid-C18
alterations and addition of right wing. Coursed squared sandstone rubble with
quoins and ashlar dressings; right return coursed squared sandstone; stone-
flagged roof. L-plan, 3 storeys, 4 bays, the fourth wider; symmetrical before
alterations to right bay. Tudor-arched door, between second and third bays,
has hollow-chamfered surround in ogee-moulded square-headed panel, with label
mould over low-relief inscription: TIMY WHITTINGHAM HANC/ DOMUM EDIFICABAT ANNO
1668/ ET ILLAM NON INDIGNE VO/ CABAT LITTLE HOLMSIDE. 4-light windows in first
bay on ground and first floors, with 3 mullions missing; other windows have 2
lights, all stone-mullioned with recessed single chamfers; evidence of vertical
iron bars in some lights. Vertical-elliptical moulded decoration at left of
Right bay altered to 2 storeys, of same height as previous 3, with sash-window
architraves; only fragments of sashes, and of glazing bars in other lights,
Roof has left gable coping on moulded kneelers; right end hipped. Left end,
and right wing ridge and rear gable, corniced ashlar chimneys.
C18 right return: symmetrical; 2 storeys, 5 bays; steps up to central door
with lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze and swan-neck pediment containing
blank panel. Architraves to all windows.
Rear 2-storey, 2-bay outshut under catslide roof has stone-mullioned windows,
one inserted; similar windows on rear of main building.
Empty and derelict at time of survey.
Source: J.W. Fawcett, The Parish Registers of All Saints' Church, Lanchester.
Satley 1909, p.x.
Listing NGR: NZ1997549276
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings