This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.7756 / 54°46'32"N
Longitude: -1.8219 / 1°49'18"W
OS Eastings: 411554
OS Northings: 542317
OS Grid: NZ115423
Mapcode National: GBR HFQ6.CV
Mapcode Global: WHC4L.Z7L8
Entry Name: Broomshields Hall
Listing Date: 17 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1185998
English Heritage Legacy ID: 350621
Location: Satley, County Durham, DL13
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Satley
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Satley
Church of England Diocese: Durham
SATLEY B6296 (Est side)
NZ 14 SW
9/114 (inset) Broomshields Hall
(Units 1,2 and 3)
House, now divided into 3 houses. Early C18 (door lintel dated 1723) and circa
1850; site of Greenwell family home from late C15. Coursed squared and rubble
sandstone with quoins and ashlar dressings; C19 roofs of graduated grey slates;
earlier roof stone-flagged. Irregular plan, the earliest part having left
additions extending to rear, and right additions breaking forward.
East elevation: main block 2 low storeys, 4 bays; service wing at right 2
lower storeys, 5 bays, breaking forward in one-storey, 4-bay coach house and
stable and lower one-storey, 3-bay outbuilding; left extension, at higher level,
2 storeys, one bay, and left return of 3 bays with further set-back 3-bay block
linked by porch.
Main house has plain stone surround to Tudor-headed door in fourth bay under
wood-bracketed hipped hood; small late C19 sashes, paired in second bay, in
architraves; steeply-pitched roof has 3 hipped dormers with ball finials; 3
ridge chimneys, at ends and to left of door. Right service extension has varied
fenestration, all sashes with glazing bars, right end half-glazed door, and
ridge chimneys; left addition has one sash with glazing bars on each floor, in
moulded stone surrounds with bar-stopped chamfers, under hipped roof. Right
wing, breaking forward, has sash with glazing bars, 2 keyed vehicle arches with
alternate-block jambs; plain stone surround to 2 boarded doors in lower extension,
and left light with flat stone lintel and projecting stone sill. Left return
has varied surrounds to sashes with glazing bars; extruded porch with Tuscan
doorcase and half-glazed double door.
Interior: low-relief stucco panel over principal fireplace has groups of
animals and hunting figures in late C17 style; chamfered beams to principal
room; Tudor-arched stone fire,in attic,in bolection-moulded surround. C19 wing
has C17 stair re-used, with twist balusters, close string and grip handrail;
early C18 panelling and chimneypiece of high quality in one ground-floor room;
there is no evidence available for the provenance of these.
Source: W. Fordyce, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of
Durham, 1857, Vol. III, 662.
Listing NGR: NZ1155442317
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings