This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3188 / 52°19'7"N
Longitude: -1.4046 / 1°24'16"W
OS Eastings: 440682
OS Northings: 269129
OS Grid: SP406691
Mapcode National: GBR 6N9.RNY
Mapcode Global: VHBXD.LZTB
Entry Name: Marton Bridge
Listing Date: 6 October 1960
Last Amended: 3 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308716
Location: Frankton, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Marton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Marton St Esprit
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
Bridge spanning River Itchen. C15 with later alterations. Widened mid C20, Regular coursed stone with coped top. North side widened in concrete. South side has two segmental pointed arches and cutwater. Two flood arches.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 January 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
A bridge, built in the C15 with later alterations, widened in the mid-C20.
A bridge over the River Leam, built in the C15 with later alterations, widened in the mid-C20, altered and partly reconstructed in 2000.
MATERIALS: sandstone ashlar.
DESCRIPTION: the bridge has long approaches, with two spans over the river and a flood-arch to either side. It is built of sandstone ashlar with segmental-pointed arches of two splayed orders over the stream, the splays dying out on the cutwater and on the abutments, which have been splayed to correspond with the cutwater. The flood-arches, which are similar to those across the stream, have been treated in the same manner by splaying their abutments. The low parapet wall shows evidence of periodic rebuilding, to the west side partly in red brick.
Marton Bridge was constructed in 1414 by John Middilton, a native of Marton who had become a mercer in London, replacing the previous toll bridge. It was extensively repaired around 1625 and again in 1661. Documentary research has identified nine phases of construction, from the C15 to the late C20. During 2000, the western approach was canted to the north, re-using the old materials, to conform better with the road; and more recently the bridge was widened on the downstream side by the addition of one flat concrete span, and the western approach canted still farther to the north.
Marton Bridge, dating from the C15 with alterations up to the late C20, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* a substantial bridge with pointed cutwaters and neat details.
* a bridge which originated in the C15, and whose evolution illustrates the changing nature of traffic over the period since it was built.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings