History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Trenchard Building (Building 70), Upavon Camp

A Grade II Listed Building in Upavon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2931 / 51°17'35"N

Longitude: -1.7744 / 1°46'27"W

OS Eastings: 415826

OS Northings: 154911

OS Grid: SU158549

Mapcode National: GBR 4YK.VLK

Mapcode Global: VHB4S.6R9K

Entry Name: The Trenchard Building (Building 70), Upavon Camp

Listing Date: 3 June 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186058

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311090

Location: Upavon, Wiltshire, SN9

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Upavon

Built-Up Area: Upavon Army Camp

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Upavon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Upavon

Listing Text

UPAVON A342
SU 15 SE (north side)

6/141 The Trenchard Building,
(Building 70), Upavon Camp
GV II
Station headquarters for the Royal Flying Corps, Central Flying
School, now museum. 1913. Lined rendering on brickwork. Asbestos
slate roof. Single storey. Central line of rooms with forward end
wings, and glazed corridor between. Entrance at each end of
corridor up flight of steps. Twelve-pane sash windows with sloping
lead clad sills. Extension block at north-east end post 1917,
containing conference/briefing room.
Interior: West end restored as commandant's office and ante-room.
One of an important group of purpose-built buildings for the
Central Flying School established here in 1912, under the command
of Captain Paine, RN, and Major, later Viscount, Trenchard. The
group comprises The Trenchard Building, Officers' Mess (q.v), Avon
Club (q.v.), the post office, Racquet Court (c1912), Sergeants'
Mess, four senior NCOs' quarters on Devon Road (1914-1929), four
Junior Officers' quarters on York Road, Paine Cottage (Commandant's
house 1912-15) and Lord House (Single Officers' quarters).


Listing NGR: SU1582554909

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.