History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Newburn, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9957 / 54°59'44"N

Longitude: -1.7537 / 1°45'13"W

OS Eastings: 415856

OS Northings: 566815

OS Grid: NZ158668

Mapcode National: GBR JB6N.4Z

Mapcode Global: WHC3H.1P6M

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186066

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304357

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE15

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Newburn

Built-Up Area: Throckley

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newburn

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Heddon on the Wall

Listing Text

NZ 16 NE NEWBURN NEWBURN ROAD (east side)
Throckley

7/37 Church of St. Mary

G. II


Parish church, 1887. By W.E. Hicks. Partly paid for by John Spencer of Whorlton
Hall in memory of his wife, died 1882. Hammer-dressed snecked sandstone, with
ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; roof of graduated stone slates. West baptistry;
nave; south vestry and north organ loft to chancel. Late C12 style. Chamfered
surround and moulded arch on impost bands to south baptistry door; 3 west lancets
in baptistry; 3-bay nave has lancets, paired in west front, above quarter-round
string. 3 stepped east lancets; triple chamfer to chancel plinth. Pent roofs to
aisle and vestry, hipped pent to baptistry; sanctus bellcote and cross finials.
Interior: plastered above boarded dado; narrow-boarded wood barrel-vaulted ceilings;
3 steps to chancel and 2 to sanctuary. Simply-curved ends to pews which originally
reached to chancel. Glass in east window in memory of Spencer; in baptistry
central window - Christ with children - in memory of Rev. S. Buckwall, vicar
1884-91; and in north lancet of baptistry very high quality Christ the Good Shepherd
with "Pray remember the school children who erected this window 1893".


Listing NGR: NZ1585666815

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.