History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4624 / 52°27'44"N

Longitude: -1.5003 / 1°30'1"W

OS Eastings: 434047

OS Northings: 285057

OS Grid: SP340850

Mapcode National: GBR HH0.F9

Mapcode Global: VHBWR.YC6N

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 1 July 1949

Last Amended: 11 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186152

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308610

Location: Nuneaton and Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV7

County: Warwickshire

District: Nuneaton and Bedworth

Town: Nuneaton and Bedworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Exhall

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Exhall St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Exhall

Listing Text

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH ST. GILES ROAD
SP38NW (East side)
Exhall I
4/69 Church of St. Giles
01/07/49 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of St. Giles)
GV II

Church. Chancel c.1300. Tower C14/C15. North aisle dated 1609. South aisle 1842.
North aisle extended, vestry added and church extensively restored 1885. Chancel
of sandstone rubble with some imitation ashlar,render. Concrete tile roof.
Remainder of church of sandstone ashlar. Plain-tile roofs. Coped gable parapets
with gablet kneelers throughout. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, north vestry,
south porch. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has diagonal and south
buttresses of one offset. 3-light east window of c.1300 has intersecting tracery
and head stops. Most openings have hood moulds. Chamfered south doorway has C19
door with applied Y-tracery. Double-chamfered south-east lancet has foliage
stops. Small south-west lancet. Vestry has splay and moulded plinth and diagonal
buttress. 4-centred 2-light east window has Y-tracery and datestone below.
North-east corner has square stack. Moulded north doorway with double-leaf
doors. Symmetrical south aisle and central porch have splay plinth and moulded
dentil cornice. Diagonal and other buttresses of 2 offsets. Porch has buttresses
flush with front. Arch of 2 moulded orders and chamfered jambs, late C20
double-leaf doors, and trefoiled lancet niche above. 3-light east and west and
2-light south windows have flowing tracery, and head stops. Nave and north aisle
have shield and hood mould in east gable. 2-bay north aisle has old eastern
diagonal buttress, and C19 western diagonal and north buttresses. Late
Perpendicular-style 3-light windows are dated above: eastern window is 1609,
western is 1885. Similar west window, probably of 1885. Perpendicular tower of 2
stages has high double moulded plinth. Diagonal buttresses of 4 offsets merge
into clasping buttresses at top. 3-light west window has deep hollow-chamfered
jambs. Small blind quatrefoil panel above. Small chamfered straight-headed
openings to each side. Moulded string course. 2-light bell-chamber openings have
cusped Y-tracery. Embattled parapet with pinnacles. Interior is plastered.
Chancel has C19 arched brace roof. Chancel arch of 2 moulded orders and
chamfered jambs. Hood mould and head stops. Nave has late C19
Perpendicular-style 3-bay arcades of 2 chamfered orders with octagonal piers and
responds. Tower arch of 2 segmental-pointed chamfered arches. King-post roof has
shaped brackets and is ceiled above collar beam. South aisle roof is ceiled
above collar beam, and has chamfered wall posts on corbels. Fittings: late C19
Early-English-style octagonal stone pulpit. Late C19 font. Stained glass: east
window 1866. South lancets c.1872. Wall monuments: north aisle: John Phillips
1716. Slate panel in moulded stone surround, in architectural framework of
Corinthian pilasters, with panel and broken segmental pediment and crest.
Chancel: north: Samuel Brooks 1779 and family (monument probably erected
c.1825), south: Ann Brooks, 1839. Both are simple Grecian style.
(VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, p89; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p291)


Listing NGR: SP3404785057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.