This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9814 / 54°58'53"N
Longitude: -1.6306 / 1°37'50"W
OS Eastings: 423738
OS Northings: 565262
OS Grid: NZ237652
Mapcode National: GBR SLS.GC
Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.X2P0
Entry Name: Whiteknights
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304393
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Wingrove
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BELLE GROVE WEST (south side)
8/90 Whiteknights (formerly listed
17.12.71 in Spital Tongues)
House. Mid C18, with late C19 alterations. Rendered front and left return, brick
rear, with ashlar plinth; late C19 timber framing in gable. Lakeland slate roof.
2 storeys, 4 bays, the centre 2 projecting under gable; the right one-bay wing is
the left return of No. 3 Belle Grove Place (q.v.). Projecting 2 bays have door at
left in corniced late C19 porch; canted bays in the left wing and at right of door;
sash windows on first floor, those in centre bays longer, longest at right. Some
windows blocked; late C19 glazing bars. Late C19 gable over centre has oriel and
2 oeuil-de-boeuf windows. Conservatory at right corner. Rendered ridge chimneys.
Interior shows stair with ramped handrail on turned balusters, and ramped dado
rail; plainer servants' stair with square balusters from top landing to attics.
Original architraves; some 2-panelled doors on second floor and in attics. Ground
floor left principal room is panelled and has high-quality rococo stucco ceiling
and frieze with garlands; shell ornament to panel with guttae above door; glazed
cupboard with astragals. Egg-and-dart and Greek key moulding on chimney. Right
room and entrance hall have dentilled cornices. Stair ceiling has central leaf-and-
rose roundel, moulded cornice. Historical note: documented to 1751: the house
became a hospital in 1766, a private asylum in late C18 and early C19; known as
St. Luke's Hospital and Belle Grove Retreat; originally called New House. Source:
Mackenzie, History of Newcastle, Newcastle, 1827, 526.
Listing NGR: NZ2373865262
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings