History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Mitre Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Benwell and Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9745 / 54°58'28"N

Longitude: -1.6708 / 1°40'14"W

OS Eastings: 421170

OS Northings: 564485

OS Grid: NZ211644

Mapcode National: GBR JBSX.2K

Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.97M8

Entry Name: The Mitre Public House

Listing Date: 17 December 1971

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304397

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE15

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Benwell and Scotswood

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Benwell and Scotwood Team

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Elswick

Listing Text

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (north side)

11/94 The Mitre Public House
(formerly listed as Benwhll
17.12.71 Towers). -

GV II


House, later bishop's house and chapel, now public house. 1831 by John Dobson for
Thomas Crawhall; chapel added 1887. Ashlar with plinth; rendered ashlar and
coursed squared sandstone left wing; Welsh slate roof to chapel. Main house roof
not visible, other roofs graduated Lakeland slate and Welsh slate. Main house:
irregular plan, castle style. 2 high storeys, scattered fenestration. Projecting
third bay contains double panelled door in Tudor arch. Windows of 2, 3 and 4
lights, some blind, with chamfered stone mullions and transoms and drip moulds.
Battlemented parapet to roof with central turret. Left wing: 2 storeys, 8 bays
and 3-bay house at left in plain style; sash windows and blind windows; hipped
roofs. Former chapel at rear in Perpendicular style has 4 bays and linking bay
with oriel window. Interior shows closed-string stair with barley-sugar balustrade,
grip handrail and newels with pendants. Library has Jacobean-style panelling and
ceiling. Panelled ceilings with Tudor bosses in other ground floor rooms; marble
chimney pieces. Historical note: donated in 1881 by J.W. Pease, the Quaker banker,
to the Diocese of Newcastle created in 1882. The previous building on the site,
the home of the Shafto family; incorporated a tower house. Sources: W.H.Knowles
"Benwell Tower, Newcastle" Archaeologia Aeliana series 2 vol. XIX, pp 88-98;
W.S.F. Pickering (ed.) A Social History of the Diocese of Newcastle 1882-1982
1982, pp 47-49.


Listing NGR: NZ2117064485

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.