History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clearwell Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newland, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7667 / 51°46'0"N

Longitude: -2.6243 / 2°37'27"W

OS Eastings: 357012

OS Northings: 207746

OS Grid: SO570077

Mapcode National: GBR FP.ZZLQ

Mapcode Global: VH872.GVHH

Entry Name: Clearwell Castle

Listing Date: 24 September 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353753

Location: Newland, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL16

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Newland

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Find accommodation in
Newland

Listing Text

SO 50 NE NEWLAND CLEARWELL

8/74 Clearwell Castle

15.3.83
II*

Country house. Built 1727 by Roger Morris for Thomas Wyndham in
Gothick style. Built of Forest stone which has survived a fire in
1929 and a period of ruin when the floors and roof were removed in
1948. The entrance front has a 2 storey central portion flanked
by symmetrical 3 storey towers, all with embattlements alternately
carved with the Wyndham lion. The towers have diagonal buttresses
in the 2 lower stages. The windows have stone mullions and
transoms, with pointed arched heads on the ground floor and
elsewhere. The central doorway which opens directly into the
great hall is approached up a double flight of steps with turned
balusters, and has flanking clustered colonnettes. Here and all
along the basement are attractive round windows. The house is
built on a sloping site and the side elevations are irregular
possibly owing to C19 additions in the same style. The library
has a large bow window on the south which appears at one time to
have been used as a chapel. At the opposite end leading into the
hall, there are tall Ionic columnns in antis and this room like
many others has a typical early C18 cornice, and a splendid stone
fireplace with carved baroque overmantel. Some original
fireplaces survive, the best is in the hall with carved hunting
equipment in the frieze. The house was restored after the fire,
and many of the ceilings are facsimile rather than original; there
does not seems to have been any Gothic decoration inside, and the
surviving fireplaces are more typical of the baroque phase of the
early C18.


Listing NGR: SO5701207746

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.