History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fieldhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Awre, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7716 / 51°46'17"N

Longitude: -2.4374 / 2°26'14"W

OS Eastings: 369918

OS Northings: 208191

OS Grid: SO699081

Mapcode National: GBR FY.ZQ00

Mapcode Global: VH875.PQTS

Entry Name: Fieldhouse

Listing Date: 25 January 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186367

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353856

Location: Awre, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Awre

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Awre St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Awre

Listing Text

SO 60 NE AWRE AWRE

3/89 Fieldhouse
-

- II*

Farmhouse. Medieval, C16 andCl9. Variously rendered, stone, and heavy
timber-framed,stone slate or tile roof, complex T-plan with early wing facing
lane, central C16 link with re-facing and alterations of 1856, and lofty 2-
gabled framed wing with south extensions, back. Lane front: long, low, 3-
unit starts two storey 2-windowed, rendered plus stone slate, 2-light case-
ments first floor. 5-light new mullioned ground floor, then old plank door
in heavy frame; half timber gabled unit, close studded above, box below, 2-
light to gable, 3-light below, casements, then, right medieval 5-light open-
ing; extends right later part stone, part frame and brick nogging with
broseley tile roof. North elevation: gable of lane wing, then 1856 refacing
in stone with small 2-light casements in two storeys; to right, 2-gabled
close studded framed unit, without bracing, three storeys, 2-windowed, 3-
light casements with diagonal leading; west, one gable, similar, new windows.
South elevation; 2-gable framed, new stack left, lean-to ground floor, cen-
tral unit rubble, concrete tile, includes 4-light stone mullioned windows
with label, ground floor, fixed light to stair, and two small vertical case-
ments, then projecting C19 gable. Interior: cruck construction centre part
lane wing; post and muntin C16 screens ground and first floors in central
unit, heavy moulded beam carrying chamfered and stopped joists in ground
floor room, left (south-east corner), new staircase, also remains of newel
stair adjacent to heavy stack centrally in back wing. C19 rebuilding
recorded on stone panel, south front; RMPH 1856 (Hooper).


Listing NGR: SO6991808191

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.