This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7609 / 51°45'39"N
Longitude: -2.4815 / 2°28'53"W
OS Eastings: 366866
OS Northings: 207026
OS Grid: SO668070
Mapcode National: GBR JW.08HP
Mapcode Global: VH874.YZ0Y
Entry Name: Blakeney United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 25 January 1985
Last Amended: 20 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186386
English Heritage Legacy ID: 353901
Location: Awre, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL15
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Awre
Built-Up Area: Blakeney
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Blakeney All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
In the entry for:
SO 60 NE AWRE CINDERFORD ROAD
3/93 Congregational Chapel
the entry shall be amended to read:
SO 60 NE AWRE CINDERFORD ROAD
3/93 Blakeney United
Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1849. Squared and coursed stone with ashlar quoins and dressings,
rendered to left-hand retum and to rear and with brick window dressings to rear block; ashlar facade;
hipped slate roof to front chapel block and gabled slate roof to rear schoolroom block. Classical style
with Gothick details.
Rectangular-plan chapel with entrance to narthex beneath gallery; schoolroom block to rear. Gabled
facade with pyramidal finials, set on pilaster buttresses to ends; debased classical porch with
bootscrapers to sides and finial to simple pediment with cornice and finial; panelled double doors.
Architrave to panel above, inscribed INDEPENDENT CHAPEL; semi-circular architraves with
impost and key blocks to tall small-paned windows with radiating heads. Moulded beneath pediment
with 1849 date set in oval panel to tympanum. Similar windows to 2-window returns, those on
left-hand return with Gothick details to heads. To rear is lower schoolroom range, with 3 similar
smaller windows which are graduated down from centre. INTERIOR: moulded ceiling cornice;
dog leg stairs with turned balusters rise to gallery, which retains original pews with panelled backs
and shaped ends, panelled balcony front with Gothick frieze interrupted by full-height trefoil-headed
panels; gallery is supported on octagonal with moulded bases and capitals to fluted upper sections.
Panelled screen walls and doors to narthex beneath gallery. Full set of original box pews, with pulpit
set in railed area with wooden rail supported on wrought-iron stanchions with Gothic scrolls. Built
to replace a chapel at Blakeney Hill which opened in 1823. A remarkably complete and
architecturally distinctive example of its type, one ofthe most prominent and distinctive expressions
ofnon conformist architecture in the Forest of Dean region.
SO 60 NE AWRE CINDERFORD ROAD,
Former Independent Chapel, now Congregational Chapel. Dated 1849. Fine
squared stone pecked surface and margins, Welsh slate hipped root. Entrance
front with pilaster corners topped by obelisks and central pediment broken
through by date stone plus obelisk. 2-windowed, arched heads, flat dressed
surrounds, central pair of 3-panel doors in heavy 'doric' porch. South side
rendered, 2-windowed arched, with simple tracery, flat band surrounds with
keystone and impost blocks; north side similar, but exposed coursed and
squared stone. Original wood sashes. At rear, cross block, low single
storey, slate roof.
Listing NGR: SO6686607026
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings