History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Victoria Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Newnham, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.802 / 51°48'7"N

Longitude: -2.4509 / 2°27'3"W

OS Eastings: 369007

OS Northings: 211577

OS Grid: SO690115

Mapcode National: GBR FY.XLPB

Mapcode Global: VH86Z.GYPZ

Entry Name: Victoria Hotel

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186409

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353960

Location: Newnham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Newnham

Built-Up Area: Newnham (Forest of Dean)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Newnham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Newnham

Listing Text

SO 61 SE NEWNHAM HIGH STREET
(west side)
2/13
Victoria Hotel
10.1.55

GV II

Hotel, formerly Coaching Inn. Early C18. Central section rendered, wings
painted brick, crude moulded cornice over stone fascia, black and white painted
and modelled quoins centrally, painted quoins on brickwork sections; Welsh
slate roof. Long narrow structure in four units, in part parallel range; three
gables and pilastered unit to rear. Two storeys; street front complex: central
unit paired sashes in heavy stone surrounds, topped steep pediments, three
paired sashes above, all these without bars; unit left four sashes above one
casement and one late triple sash; right unit one sash then further two sash,
all these with glazing bars. Deep flat-topped, four-columned 'doric' portico,
good moulded bases but crude caps, architrave and moulded cornice; responds
to wall, modern doors: this added c.1840. At back, left, major unit, rendered,
has paired pilasters to centre bay, single pilasters at flanks, containing
three-window aedicules at principal level, sashes with glazing bars plus one
new door, right; above these three square sunk blank panels; paired sashes
with bars in double-gabled feature, right, and round-headed stair window, centre.
Interior has oak dog-leg stair with returned landing and curved well, early
C18 or late C17; three turned balusters per tread, handrail wreathed at foot
and over 'Serlian' pillars. Low, wide elliptical opening in entrance hall
with plain tuscan responds. Head of stair pair of fluted doric pilasters,
elliptical arch (left) and fine dentilled cornice. Landing, window with panel
surrounds and dado; one panel of painted glass, dated 1622, incorporated in
window. Room with C18 painted panelling over entrance; various chamfered and
stopped beams, many panelled doors.


Listing NGR: SO6900711577

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.