History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Newnham, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8013 / 51°48'4"N

Longitude: -2.4503 / 2°27'1"W

OS Eastings: 369046

OS Northings: 211504

OS Grid: SO690115

Mapcode National: GBR FY.XLTY

Mapcode Global: VH86Z.GZZH

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186416

English Heritage Legacy ID: 353977

Location: Newnham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Newnham

Built-Up Area: Newnham (Forest of Dean)

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Newnham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Arlingham

Listing Text

SO 61 SE NEWNHAM HIGH STREET
(east side)
2/30
Church of St Peter
10.1.55 (formerly listed under
General)

- II

Anglican parish church. Architect: Waller and Son. Principally 1881 but incor-
porating some C14 work in tower. Rubble, plain tile roofs. Three stage tower
at west end of nave and adjoining wide south aisle, deep north porch and tran-
septal north chapel, shallow chancel. Crenellated tower with squat spire and
small spire to stair vice. Windows generally in C14 'decorated' style; remains
of Norman window built in by north door. Interior: nave in four bays, arch-
braced truss roof, south arcade 4-bay cylindrical red granite columns with
C13 type leaf carved capitals; triple shafts in granite to corbels at chancel
arch; and short shafts on floriated corbels to chancel roof. C19 stone pulpit,
wrought iron sanctuary rail, tile floors. Tower arch fitted with C20 panelling.
Ancient font bowl, circular, unlined; one of group of Norman fonts in the
county. The present church is on the site of a C14 building, which in its
turn replaced an earlier church lower in the town. The new church of 1875,
by Waller and Son of Gloucester, was almost completely destroyed by fire
shortly afterwards, but rebuilt by Waller, 1881.


Listing NGR: SO6904611504

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.