This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8126 / 51°48'45"N
Longitude: -2.5051 / 2°30'18"W
OS Eastings: 365277
OS Northings: 212786
OS Grid: SO652127
Mapcode National: GBR FV.WZ3T
Mapcode Global: VH86Y.JPJT
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354099
Location: Cinderford, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Cinderford
Built-Up Area: Cinderford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cinderford St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 61 SE CINDERFORD ST. WHITES ROAD
10/29 Church of St. John the Evangelist
Parish Church; 1844, by Edward Blore. Squared coursed masonry,
ashlar dressings, slate roof. Cruciform plan, with 4-bay nave,
narrow aisles, transepts, chancel, south porch and south west
tower. Early English style. Porch low, gabled, square set
buttresses. To left tower, in three stages; lowest square with
square-set gabled buttresses, sloping offset to octagonal second
and third stages, third ashlar with one lancet per face, louvred.
Above corbelled eaves and spire with roll moulding to angles.
Aisle plinth, plain string course at sill level, tall lancets,
corbelled eaves; no clerestory. Transept door beneath central
lancet, quatrefoil in gable, large kneelers to gable copings.
Chancel semi-octagon, buttressed, height relating to nave arcade.
All lancet windows have hood moulds. Internally painted brick
walls, chancel only plastered. Kneelers and certain voussoirs to
chancel arch, rock faced. Square timber posts form arcade,
carrying queen strut trusses. Crossing has larger hollow octagonal
timber posts, carrying arch-braced collar trusses. Western gallery
on cast iron columns, formerly galleries in transepts (organ now in
north transept). Ribs to angles of chancel roof, rising from stone
corbels. Chancel screen added c1913.
Listing NGR: SO6527712786
Other nearby listed buildings