This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8104 / 51°48'37"N
Longitude: -2.5214 / 2°31'16"W
OS Eastings: 364152
OS Northings: 212546
OS Grid: SO641125
Mapcode National: GBR FV.X167
Mapcode Global: VH86Y.7RXJ
Entry Name: Former Railway Bridge by Dilke Memorial Hospital
Listing Date: 22 June 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186463
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354101
Location: Cinderford, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Cinderford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cinderford St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 61 SW CINDERFORD SPEECH HOUSE ROAD
9/31 Former Railway Bridge by Dilke
22.5.83 Memorial Hospital
Bridge, c1870. Sandstone, rock faced, squared and coursed, drafted
edges to piers and main quoins, tooled with drafted edges and
weathered upper surface to coping. Skew arch has stretcher bond
red brick soffite. Arch span about 4.25m, rising to about 4.5m on
to crown of flat elliptical arch, with keystone; railway arch about
9.10m long at angle of c.23° to centre line of B4226, Speech House
Road. Twin piers each side carry weathered rectangular copings,
flanked by segmental ramped wings, ending in similar piers.
Parapet c.1.4m deep from top of surface to string course
immediately above arch; road about 7.4m wide between parapets.
Built by Severn and Wye Railway to take road over the Mineral Loop,
opened in 1872: railway track now removed. It is a good example of
a mid-Victorian railway bridge, with strong geometrical forms and a
visual illustration of a brick skew arch. In an area formerly very
rich in industrial and colliery workings, with many railway lines,
the bridge is an important survival. Bridge half in Ruspidge
Parish, boundary running along centre of road.
The asset was previously listed twice. It was also listed under List Entry 1186349.
This entry was removed from the List on 07/10/2014.
Listing NGR: SO6415212546
Other nearby listed buildings