History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Robinson Monument, in Churchyard, About 3 Metres South West of South Porch, Church of St Ethelbert

A Grade II Listed Building in Littledean, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8198 / 51°49'11"N

Longitude: -2.4772 / 2°28'37"W

OS Eastings: 367205

OS Northings: 213566

OS Grid: SO672135

Mapcode National: GBR FX.WD58

Mapcode Global: VH86Z.0JSB

Entry Name: Robinson Monument, in Churchyard, About 3 Metres South West of South Porch, Church of St Ethelbert

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186484

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354153

Location: Littledean, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Littledean

Built-Up Area: Littledean

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Littledean St Ethelbert

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cinderford

Listing Text

SO 61 SE LITTLEDEAN CHURCH STREET
(east side)

10/82 Robinson monument, in churchyard,
about 3m south west of south porch
Church of St. Ethelbert.

GV II

Chest tomb, Phillip Robinson, died 1712: stone. Inscriptions cut
on flat lid, with leaf decoration forming margin round: wide
projecting moulded edge. Long sides a single fielded panel; on
north additional tooling divides panel into wide centre and narrow
sides. Ends square panel with tooled margins, inside two
mouldings with scrolled ends, forming rounded corners to panel.
Consoles form buttresses outside main body, with leaf carving on
sides and ends. Commemorates Phillip Robinson and his son, with
later inscriptions, last 1767. Earliest lettering simple, with
slight serifs, later has copperplate flourishes to last line. One
of 3 Robinson memorials forming a group, (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO6720613567

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.