History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dean Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Littledean, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8155 / 51°48'55"N

Longitude: -2.4766 / 2°28'35"W

OS Eastings: 367240

OS Northings: 213097

OS Grid: SO672130

Mapcode National: GBR FX.WSBJ

Mapcode Global: VH86Z.1M2K

Entry Name: Dean Hall

Listing Date: 23 September 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354176

Location: Littledean, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Littledean

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Littledean St Ethelbert

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cinderford

Listing Text

SO 61 SE LITTLEDEAN NEWNHAM ROAD
(east side)

10/102 Dean Hall

23.9.55
II*

House: C17,18,19, with evidence of earlier work. Stone, entrance
facade plain render, with ashlar windows, porch coursed, squared
stone with ashlar dressings, left side and gable on right rough
render lined to look like wide-jointed ashlar; some brick to
courtyard and back wing; roofs tiled generally, a few slopes stone
slates. Large, irregular square enclosing courtyard. Entrance
facade three floors, six 2-light windows wide, with straight
hoodmoulds, slightly irregular spacing: mullion only to top floor,
mullion and transom below. Eaves parapet; small gable with
copings over each window, containing coat of arms. Chimney on
left end gable, short finial right: copings. Porch off-centre to
right, gable as over windows, diagonally-set corner buttresses,
doorway up 2 steps, 4-centred arch with hoodmould. On right a
gable set back, 2 storey: panelled door up 4 steps with moulded
edge to tread, flat stone porch on iron brackets: blocked window
above. Right return of front has single-storey square bay with
cellar window below. Left facade long, 2-storey with attics in
right hand half: at extreme right gable return of front, top
rendered as front, bottom as ashlar. 2-storey, square-bay, with
French doors at base, 2-light mullioned window above, with
crenellated parapet. Otherwise scattered mullion or mullion and
transom windows, timber lintels where visible, 2 with hoodmoulds.
One has 2 fragments of Medieval glass. Behind front 2 gables, one
with bargeboards, one a chimney. Attached to left end a lower,
small, 2 storey, hipped-roofed block with 2-light mullioned window
at first floor.
Interior: Entrance front 3 rooms long: right-hand ground floor
room fielded panelling with 2 dado rails, moulded cornice, panelled
beam, semi-circular cupboard with domed head. Left-hand end room
C17 dust-ledge panelling and moulded plaster cornice. Bolection-
moulded fireplace in room behind set-back gable on right. First
floor 2 left-hand rooms have scratch moulded panelling, middle room
'H' hinges to cupboard door. Cellar below right-hand end of
block, older than building above. Behind, steps up from it to
door to courtyard, with steep segmental head cut out of a single
stone. Square projection into courtyard behind left wing, with
continuous spiral stair with solid wood treads, around mast. Rear
wing of courtyard faced brick at first floor, containing nests of
dovecote accessible only by ladder from yard. House very complex:
front early C17, 3-storey block, rewindowed C18, present Jacobean-
style front after 1836: 2 storey square bays at each end probably
C17 (picture on 1836 map in house). This front enlarged into
courtyard to give stairs and passages. Left-hand wing earlier.
Prince Maurice reported to have used house as headquarters briefly
during Civil War; two Royalist officers killed in it.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire; The Vale and Forest of Dean, 1970).


Listing NGR: SO6724013097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.