This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8655 / 51°51'55"N
Longitude: -2.4483 / 2°26'53"W
OS Eastings: 369227
OS Northings: 218642
OS Grid: SO692186
Mapcode National: GBR FY.SM96
Mapcode Global: VH86S.JC1R
Entry Name: War Memorial at Junction with Monmouth Road
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186508
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354212
Location: Longhope, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Longhope
Built-Up Area: Longhope
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Longhope All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO 61 NE
War Memorial at junction with Monmouth Road
War Memorial, about 1920, said to be by Walter Davis of Hereford.
Ashlar stone. A lion couchant, set on a rectangular plinth,
plinth about 1.4m high. The lion is boldly carved from a single
piece of stone; right paw laid over outstretched left. Plinth has
plain clasping corner projections, which set back once at the top.
on long side a centre panel projects slightly, and is carved with a
laurel wreath. At foot a double projecting plinth. Ends
have narrow recess between projections. Memorial is unusual in
having no list of names: above centre panel is carved '1914 -
1918', below wreath 'AND ALSO OF 1939 - 1945'. The whole is set
on a wide concrete base.
Listing NGR: SO6922718644
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings