History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross at Junction with Bell Lane and A48

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbury-on-Severn, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8241 / 51°49'26"N

Longitude: -2.4121 / 2°24'43"W

OS Eastings: 371696

OS Northings: 214017

OS Grid: SO716140

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.WB96

Mapcode Global: VH94G.4FP0

Entry Name: Cross at Junction with Bell Lane and A48

Listing Date: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186543

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354295

Location: Westbury-on-Severn, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL14

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Westbury-on-Severn

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Westbury-on-Severn St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Westbury on Severn

Listing Text

SO 71 SW WESTBURY-ON-SEVERN WESTBURY VILLAGE

11/214 Cross, at junction of Bell
Lane and A48


GV II

Cross; 1887 (carved on head); ashlar stone. Tall Cross on square,
stepped base. Bottom step has projecting top with hollow chamfer
beneath; 2 plain steps above; above a reused medieval cross base,
square, each side reduced in top half to less than half its width,
square set-back north and south, canted east and west, with sloping
base to cut out. This carries a tall tapering stone shaft,
reducing quickly from square to octagon. At top a square head,
oversails shaft: corner pilaster originally with finials (only one
survives), gables to each face with cross roof between, shield on
each face, 2 inscribed 1887, 2 IHS; above a stone cross with
floriate ends to arms, and a semi-circle linking arms and stem
below. Forms group with church and churchyard memorials, (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SO7169614017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.