This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7035 / 51°42'12"N
Longitude: -2.5756 / 2°34'32"W
OS Eastings: 360321
OS Northings: 200681
OS Grid: SO603006
Mapcode National: GBR JR.3W9N
Mapcode Global: VH87H.9FRZ
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 7 August 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 354366
Location: Alvington, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL15
District: Forest of Dean
Civil Parish: Alvington
Built-Up Area: Alvington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Woolaston St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ALVINGTON CHURCH LANE
SO 60 SW
7/2 Church of St Andrew
Anglican Parish Church. C13 and C14 but heavily restored 1858 and 1890. Coursed
sandstone, stone slate roofs, all gables coped, with kneelers and saddle stone
or cross. West tower, nave, south aisle and south chapel, chancel, south porch,
vestry. Tower in 3 stages on plinth, 2 small vertical lights in stage 1, clock
to stage 2, lancet with drip, stage 3 all faces, crenellations and pinnacles,
weather cock. Windows mostly 2 or 3-light Decorated but C19 reconstructions
but one lancet to south aisle, and in south chapel a 2-light with 'Kentish'
tracery. Stonework to east end in deep courses and well worn to chancel. North
side of chancel one small Norman light. C19 porch with tall outer doorway with
inscription "My soul doth magnify the Lord. The Lord careth for the righteous'.
Inner door plank and straps. Interior: 3-bay nave chamfered arcade on octagonal
piers and foliage caps, rood stair entrance, steep pointed chancel arch on
tripartite stiff-leaf corbels; chancel, barell roof, C19 reredos arch to south
chapel double hollow chamfer on octagonal responds. In south chapel a large
mensa, with consecration crosses and large incised cross. Large 160q memorial
to Sir Robert Woodrof. In the south aisle one window in style of Burne-Jones.
Listing NGR: SO6032100681
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings