History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lydney Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Lydney, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7207 / 51°43'14"N

Longitude: -2.5532 / 2°33'11"W

OS Eastings: 361882

OS Northings: 202586

OS Grid: SO618025

Mapcode National: GBR JS.2VW7

Mapcode Global: VH87H.P0LQ

Entry Name: Lydney Park

Listing Date: 7 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186596

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354418

Location: Lydney, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL15

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Lydney

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Lydney St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Lydney

Listing Text

LYDNEY GENERAL
SO 60 SW
7/56 Lydney Park
- II
Large country house. 1877, architect C H Howell. Rock faced coursed limestone,
tile roof: multiple chimney stacks, but all shafts cut back to base. A rambling
composition with main entrance to north flanked by projecting wing, left and
later museum wing, right; the south front, towards the Severn, incorporates
a tower at the right end. Generally 2½ storeys with various mullioned windows,
and plate glass sashes sliding behind stone members. Entrance front has large
external stack, right, with moulded panel and motto 'TIEN TA FOI', that of
the Bathurst family for which house was built, also an octagonal turret in
the internal corner, and a circular turret with steep conical roof on the wing
to left. To south front, seen from the main road, 2½ storeys, with two principal
gables and two lesser gables at centre, a 2 storey hexagonal bay and a segmental
one, stopped right to a five storey tower.
The interior contains much original panelling of high quality, a grand open
well oak stair, a secondary stair of 1910, and various original doors, fireplaces
and ceilings.
The building has a commanding position in parkland at the southern entrance
to the parish, and replaces an earlier house, now represented by the Stables
(qv).


Listing NGR: SO6188202586

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.