History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James (Ruins) at Grid Reference St 537964

A Grade II Listed Building in Tidenham, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6652 / 51°39'54"N

Longitude: -2.6708 / 2°40'15"W

OS Eastings: 353698

OS Northings: 196481

OS Grid: ST536964

Mapcode National: GBR JM.68VX

Mapcode Global: VH87M.NDDT

Entry Name: Church of St James (Ruins) at Grid Reference St 537964

Listing Date: 7 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186663

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354586

Location: Tidenham, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, NP16

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Tidenham

Built-Up Area: Woodcroft

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tidenham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Chepstow

Listing Text

TIDENHAM LANCAUT
ST 59 NW
9/240 Church of St James (ruins)
at GR ST 537964
- II
Remains of church, possibly to lost village. Half C12 and half later medieval.
Rubble walls to former plate height, east and west gables, and an intermediate
chancel arch; no roofs or other structure remain. A 2-cell chapel, built as a
single cell Norman chapel and extended west. At the west end in the gable a 2-light
opening to roughly pointed heads and a deep central mullion, to the south (river)
front remains of a Norman door, but all the dressed work gone, and to right of this
a square opening with chamfered surround, formerly with a mullion, also remains
of priest's door, and to the right again a 2-light opening with mullion, all
chamfered. The chancel arch is very slightly pointed, and splays from heavy capped
responds. In the east wall, a window with single roll moulding to a deep splay,
also a double rool with deep hollow externally. Inside the ruins are parts of
various ledger slab monuments including Jane Stephens, 1682; Henry Stephens, 1678;
and John Stephens, 1707 - this a good incised slab almost complete. At the time
of survey, December 1983, the building is railed off and declared dangerous. It
is a substantial remnant in a most romantic setting on a U-bend of the River Wye,
and is presumed to locate a former village, now lost.


Listing NGR: ST5370096400

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.