This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4056 / 51°24'20"N
Longitude: 0.0139 / 0°0'49"E
OS Eastings: 540171
OS Northings: 169320
OS Grid: TQ401693
Mapcode National: GBR M1.85K
Mapcode Global: VHHNX.6X6V
Entry Name: National Westminster Bank
Listing Date: 23 September 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186830
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358649
Location: Bromley, London, BR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Town
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bromley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
The following building shall be added:
BROMLEY HIGH STREET
TQ 46 NW
785-/5/10011 No. 194 (even)
Bank. Built in 1927, architects Gunton and Gunton, for the
National Provincial Bank. Florid Neo-Georgian style in
handmade variegated red brick with Portland stone dressings
and state roof with brick and stone chimneystack. Wedge-shaped
site with office building of 2 storeys and attics 3 windows to
front and single storey banking hall with 3 windows behind.
Front building has hipped roof with dormer with curved
pediment. Parapet with panels of stone balustrading and
Portland stone urns at corners. Deep modillion cornice.
Full-height engaged Corinthian piers at corners. First floor
has 12-pane sashes with curved architraves and keystones.
Ground floor has taller windows with glazing bars to upper
part only with keystone and brick panels above and stone
panels below. Central doorcase has curved open pediment with
scrolled cartouche above keystone with date 1927, engaged
columns with plumed capitals, rectangular fanlight and double
doors with 3 fielded panels to each. Left side elevation is
curved with panelled parapet, one 8-pane sash to first floor
and elaborate cartouche to ground floor. Banking hall to rear
has 3 18-pane sashes with panels above. Plinth. Interior has
central circular vestibule with black and white marble floor,
pilasters, cornice and ceiling with design of ovolo moulding
and fasces. Original doors with bevel-edged glass panels, the
set leading into the banking hall curved to be flush with the
shape of the vestibule. Rectangular banking hall has cornice,
pilasters, marble floor and probably original counters.
Listing NGR: TQ4016769319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings