History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hollow Bottom Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Plaistow and Sundridge, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4161 / 51°24'58"N

Longitude: 0.0201 / 0°1'12"E

OS Eastings: 540568

OS Northings: 170504

OS Grid: TQ405705

Mapcode National: GBR M0.HQS

Mapcode Global: VHHNX.9NGR

Entry Name: Hollow Bottom Cottage

Listing Date: 11 October 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186831

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358651

Location: Bromley, London, BR1

County: London

District: Bromley

Electoral Ward/Division: Plaistow and Sundridge

Built-Up Area: Bromley

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Bromley St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Chislehurst

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

NICHOL LANE
TQ 47 SW
(Hollow Bottom Cottage)
6/314
No 27
II

Cottage. Date 1739 (scratched into brickwork on front elevation) with probable
mid C19 rear extension and late C19 left side addition and C20 refenestration.
Original part has front and right side elevations of Flemish bond brickwork
with red brick stretched and grey brick leaders and cement rendered left side
elevation. Gambrel roof, the lower part clad with renewed tiles, the upper
part pantiled and right side partially external brick stack, 2 storeys and
attics, one window and one window space. 2nd floor flat-roofed dormer with
casement. 1st floor has right side renewed sash with vertical glazing bars,
horns and leaded lights and left side window bricked up at the time of the
window tax. Ground floor has right side renewed sash with cambered head,
leaded lights and horns. Left side early C19 doorcase with flat wooden hood
on brackets, moulded architrave and 4 flush panelled door. Moulded wooden
eaves cornice and Hand in Hand insurance plaque. Rear has portable mid C19
extension of 2 storeys brown brick with slate roof, one casement window and
2 plank doors. Left side late C19 single storeyed stock brick lean to exten-
sion with 4 C20 windows. Interior has living room with C18 plank cupboard
with iron hinges to right of fireplace and C18 3 plank door to left heading
to original wooden winder staircase. Beaded 4 plank door to rear in moulded
architrave. Dado panelling is probably late C19. 1st floor has front bedroom
with plank cupboard door with iron hinges and rear bedroom door a 2 vertical
panelled door cut down from a larger doorcase. 3 plank door to 2nd floor
room the fire insurance was renewed in 1761 when the building was described
as a brick house in a garden. At the end of the C19 it was occupied by a
gamekeeper to Sundridge Park. A list of C18 owners discovered from the
insurance records are to be found in "Not a Mile from Milk Street" by Andrew
J Martin,


Listing NGR: TQ4056870504

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.