History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromley, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4166 / 51°24'59"N

Longitude: -0.055 / 0°3'17"W

OS Eastings: 535351

OS Northings: 170417

OS Grid: TQ353704

Mapcode National: GBR JH.GTW

Mapcode Global: VHGRF.0N9C

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 15 January 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186832

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358652

Location: Bromley, London, SE20

County: London

District: Bromley

Electoral Ward/Division: Penge and Cator

Built-Up Area: Bromley

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Penge St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Beckenham

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:

PENGE HIGH STREET
TQ 37 SE
1/505
Church of St John The
Evangelist
GV II

Church. 1849 by John Nash and Edwin Nash of Bermondsey in early English style,
with north and south aisles enlarged in 1861 and north and south transepts added,
nave lengthened and new chancel added in 1866. Built of Kentish ragstone with
Bath stone dressings and slate roof with alternate bands of plain and curved
slates and ridge tiles. Nave with north and south aisles, chancel, transepts and
south porch and north vestry. West tower with spire is 150 feet high. Lower in 3
stages with buttresses. Lower stage has trefoliated headed doorcases with corbel
heads 2nd stage has lancet window and clock face. 3rd or bell stage has paired
louvred lancets. Stone spire has lucarnes and cockerel weathervane. South aisle
has gable with lancet, rose window underneath and 2 lancets below to west face. 3
traceried windows to south. South porch approached up a flight of 5 stone steps.
Gable with saddlestone and quatrefoil light. Arched doorcase with colonnettes and
corbels and elaborate double door with traceried design. Transept has large gable
with trefoil window and 5 lancets with 1 arched window below. North aisle has
quatrefoil with traceried window below to west front, 4 arched windows separated
by buttresses to north front and transept has similar arrangement to south
transept with trefoil window, 5 lancets but arched doorcase below. Lower chancel
has lancet window and vestry built on to the north. Interior has nave with
arcading on octagonal stone piers and wooden post of arched braced type. North
aisle contains the King Edward VII window (the King was 29th in direct descent
from Earl Harold Godmisson the 1st known Lord of Penge). It contains the figures
of Temperance and Hope 'after' Burne Jones and was executed by William Morris and
Co in 1910. Elaborate pulpit with figure of St John the Evangelist said to have
been copied from St Bartholomew's Sydenham.


Listing NGR: TQ3535170417

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.