This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4055 / 51°24'19"N
Longitude: 0.0144 / 0°0'51"E
OS Eastings: 540209
OS Northings: 169308
OS Grid: TQ402693
Mapcode National: GBR M1.88W
Mapcode Global: VHHNX.6XHY
Entry Name: 180-184, High Street
Listing Date: 1 October 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358655
Location: Bromley, London, BR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Town
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bromley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
The following buildings shall be added:
TQ 46 NW
5/508 Nos 180-184 (even)
Originally butchers premises and 3 other shops, now bank. 1888 by
Walter Albert Williams ARIBA in Flemish Style. Built of red brick in Flemish bond
with stone dressings and tiled roofs with brick chimneystacks. Corner building.
High Street elevation presents 4 gables. No 180 is of 3 storeys with curved
pediment with cherub and strapwork decoration. Second floor has 2 mullioned and
transomed casements with brick pediments over, divided by stone high relief carving
of young girl. First floor has large 2-light oriel with pediments and mask and
strapqqrk decoration underneath and mullioned and transomed window to right with
swans neck pediment feature, swags above and elaborate apron below. Ground floor
has right side round-headed arch with keystone and mask and strapwork to tympanum.
C20 door. To left is segmented-headed carriage arch with pilasters and original
7 panelled double doors. No 181 is of 3 storeys and attics with elaborate
triangular pediment with ogee moulding and octagonal ribs. Attic has casement with
ogee surround. Second floor has 3 casementswith ogee surrounds and 2 stone bosses.
First floor has 4-light mullioned and transomed window with swans neck pediment
over. C20 shopfront. Shopfront has 2 massive stone brackets. No 182 has a Flemish
gable with enriched curved pediment. Under the attic storey is the inscription
"ANNO 1888 DOMINI". Attic has brick pilasters. Second floor has 2 mullioned and
transomed casements flanked by pilasters. First floor has 4-light mullioned and
transomed window with enriched carved and curved pediment flanked by terracotta
carving of mermaid and merman. C20 shopfront. No 183 is identical to No 181.but
without the stone brackets to ground floor. No 184 is a corner building with curved
corner`to deflect traffic to the Market Square. Three storeys and attics. To left
is a 4-light dormer with pediment above with high relief carved fruit and swag to
the right a pediment with curved feature to top grasped by fabulous beasts and the
legend "established over a century". The second floor has 4 mullioned and transomed
casements flanked by elaborate pilasters. First floor has 4 mullioned and transomed
casements, the end ones with terracotta carvings of mermen, the centre 2 with masks,
vines and cartouches (C and H for Covell and Harris the Butchers). Stone dentilled
cornice partially obscured by later shopfront.
Listing NGR: TQ4020469315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings