This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5987 / 54°35'55"N
Longitude: -2.8812 / 2°52'52"W
OS Eastings: 343164
OS Northings: 522974
OS Grid: NY431229
Mapcode National: GBR 8HB8.08
Mapcode Global: WH81G.QN5X
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 January 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 74567
Location: Matterdale, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Matterdale
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Watermillock
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 42 SW,
Church of All Saints
Church. 1881-84. By C. J. Ferguson. Narrow coursed slate with sandstone ashlar
dressings and slate roof. Nave, west tower, and chancel with south vestry.
Coped gables and quoins; lancet windows and some single-chamfered mullioned
windows. Tower has north gabled porch; 2-light plate tracery west window; south
stair turret under lean-to roof and west entrance with decorated lintel. 3
louvred bell openings on sill course and projecting coped parapet. 4-bay nave
has paired lancets between weathered buttresses, but north side has small lancet
to east and single lancet to 3rd bay; 3rd bay to south has triple lancets.
Chancel has sill course and angle buttresses; gable cross; 3 stepped lancets to
east, with vesica above; single and paired lancets to north; south vestry under
catslide roofs; mullioned window, and east entrance under decorated lintel;
lancet to east.
INTERIOR crown post roof with ashlaring. Tower arch has
half-glazed timber screen with Jacobean detail and C20 doors. Tower has
inserted C20 service area; good late C19 stained glass to west window and small
south light. Georgian royal arms and Lord's Prayer and Creed board. Nave has
coronate and wall sconces. Wall memorials from earlier (?C16) church include
Castlehow family brass dated 1562 and John and Jane Dobson (died 1742 and 1743),
cartouche with scrolls, cherubs etc. Basin font of polished granite with etched
decoration. Chancel arch on short corbelled responds. Lectern on tripod.
Pulpit and stalls with Jacobean detail. South organ loft, and sedilium in
window recess. Altar rail with turned balusters. Late C19 stained glass to
nave and chancel.
Listing NGR: NY4316422974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings