History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gun's Mills House

A Grade II Listed Building in Littledean, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8411 / 51°50'28"N

Longitude: -2.4734 / 2°28'24"W

OS Eastings: 367478

OS Northings: 215940

OS Grid: SO674159

Mapcode National: GBR FX.V726

Mapcode Global: VH86S.2ZRH

Entry Name: Gun's Mills House

Listing Date: 23 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186868

English Heritage Legacy ID: 354138

Location: Littledean, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, GL17

County: Gloucestershire

District: Forest of Dean

Civil Parish: Littledean

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Mitcheldean St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Flaxley

Listing Text

SO 61 NE LITTLEDEAN -

6/66 Gun's Mills House
(formerly listed as Gunn's Mills,
East Dean Parish)
23.9.55

GV II

House; early C19, part may be earlier; 'L'-plan, main wing 2-
rooms deep. Brick, Flemish bond to front of main wing, wing to
left coursed, squared stone with larger quoins, rendered on front:
hipped slate roots. 2-storey front, 3 sash windows, with bowed
end on right. Windows stone sills, rubbed-brick flat arches.
Central door up 2 semi-circular steps: semi-circular stone-head on
Tuscan pilasters: porch missing. Radial fanlight over original
6-panelled door. Ground-floor window sills extended as plain stone
string course: plain stone plinth. To left of front door ashlar
between string and plinth: blocked door at left end. To left
return wing, 2-windows wide, originally 3 storey but eaves slightly
lower. Windows were 4-panes wide.
Interior: panelled doors to entrance hall: large fireplace in
room on left, stone surround, elliptical head, salt cupboard. No
floors survive in 3-storey wing. Third floor to main block had
been removed by 1947. (C. Hart, The Industrial History of Dean,
1971, pl. 50).


Listing NGR: SO6747815940

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.