History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary's House (Now Flats) and Former Stables to North East of St Mary's House

A Grade II Listed Building in Beccles, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4551 / 52°27'18"N

Longitude: 1.5584 / 1°33'30"E

OS Eastings: 641862

OS Northings: 290078

OS Grid: TM418900

Mapcode National: GBR XMK.4SG

Mapcode Global: VHM6J.YKQ9

Entry Name: St Mary's House (Now Flats) and Former Stables to North East of St Mary's House

Listing Date: 22 September 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186896

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362942

Location: Beccles, Waveney, Suffolk, NR34

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney

Civil Parish: Beccles

Built-Up Area: Beccles

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Beccles St Michael and Saint Luke

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Beccles

Listing Text

1.
828 BALLYGATE
(West Side)

St Mary's House (now flats) and
Former Stables to North East of
St Mary's House
TM 49 SW 1/12A

II

2.
Early 19th century. 2 storeys. Suffolk yellow brick. Wood modillion cornice.
Slates. Plinth. 5 windows, sash with glazing bars and flat arches. 6-panel
door with patterned fanlight, in wood case with panelled reveals continuing
under arch, Doric 3/4 columns and modillion entablature. This house was
occupied by a succession of headmasters of a school which was endowed by
Dr Henry Falconbridge LLD under a will dated 1712, but which became effective
in 1770 after the death of intervening beneficiaries. St Mary's was left as
such by Dr Falconbridge for use as a school, which was held in a succession
of buildings including the Town Hall. During the present century the extensive
stabling was converted for use as school-rooms, and a modern tablet with the
Falconbridge coat of arms, and HF17 1712 inscribed, was put up to record the
origin of the school.


Listing NGR: TM4186290078

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.