History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chedburgh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1863 / 52°11'10"N

Longitude: 0.6261 / 0°37'33"E

OS Eastings: 579619

OS Northings: 257481

OS Grid: TL796574

Mapcode National: GBR QFG.WN1

Mapcode Global: VHJH0.S9VT

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1186958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363076

Location: Chedburgh, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Chedburgh

Built-Up Area: Chedburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Chedburgh All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brockley Green

Listing Text

TL 75 NE CHEDBURGH BURY ROAD

4/1 Church of All Saints

14.7.55
II*


Church, mediaeval with major C19 alterations. Nave, chancel, north-west
tower, vestry, south porch. Flint rubble with limestone dressings; gault
brick tower, most other C19 work in rounded flints with brick or limestone
dressings. Chancel roof slated, nave roof plaintiled on south side and
concrete tiled on north. Nave C.1300 with single-light north and south
windows, and circular west window with inset quatrefoil. Mid C14 north and
south nave doorways and 2-light south window formerly with dropped cill and
with shafted rear arch; probably the site of a side-altar. Major restoration
in 1842 included:- gault brick tower with rendered Gothic style openings,
brick spire and crenellated parapets; almost total reconstruction of chancel,
with east window in mid-C14 style, roof with ribbed panelled ceiling and
moulded cornice; gabled vestry. Alterations 1873 probably included:-scissor-
braced coupled rafter nave roof; west gallery; south timber-framed open porch
with traceried sidelights and carved bargeboards; complete internal refitting
including pews, pulpit and limestone font. A C16 pew with crude poppy-head
ends. Some fragments of mediaeval glass incorporated in early C20 work in the
east window.


Listing NGR: TL7961957481

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.