This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2175 / 52°13'2"N
Longitude: 0.5848 / 0°35'5"E
OS Eastings: 576673
OS Northings: 260841
OS Grid: TL766608
Mapcode National: GBR PCP.YFW
Mapcode Global: VHJGT.3J0G
Entry Name: Church of St Edmund
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1186976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363114
Location: Hargrave, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP29
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Hargrave
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hargrave St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 76 SE HARGRAVE BRIDGE GREEN
1/39 Church of St. Edmund
Church, mediaeval, restored and extended c.1869. Nave, chancel, north aisle,
west tower. Random rubble walls, partly rendered; tower red brick; chancel and
aisle random squared and flushed flint-, limestone-, and other rubble facing.
Slated roofs. Late C12 simple south nave doorway with stiff-leaf imposts.
Chancel mid-C13, heavily restored; east window 3 lancets with linked
hoodmoulds, south doorway and 2-light window and north lancet all reconstructed
1869; piscina with central shaft, and window-seat sedilia with fragmentary
original work. West tower added early C16 in red brick with diagonal
buttressing, simple arched belfry openings, 2-light limestone traceried west
window, chamfered tower-arch. 2 early C16 2-light windows in south nave and
chancel walls. North arcade and aisle added 1869, removing C12 north door and
window. 7-canted nave roof possibly mediaeval; ceiled, with C19 ribbed panels.
Octagonal C15 limestone font with sunk quatrefoils to bowl. Damaged and
restored C15 5-light screen with carved spandrels having, a fox, goose, dragon,
eagle and unicorn; rood-beam above has billet and zig-zag ornament. Scissor-
braced coupled-rafter chancel roof 1869.
Listing NGR: TL7667360841
Other nearby listed buildings