History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Laleham Abbey

A Grade II* Listed Building in Spelthorne, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.403 / 51°24'10"N

Longitude: -0.4888 / 0°29'19"W

OS Eastings: 505216

OS Northings: 168194

OS Grid: TQ052681

Mapcode National: GBR 1F.7G5

Mapcode Global: VHFTQ.GZYT

Entry Name: Laleham Abbey

Listing Date: 25 November 1957

Last Amended: 2 February 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187014

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363201

Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW18

County: Surrey

District: Spelthorne

Town: Spelthorne

Electoral Ward/Division: Laleham and Shepperton Green

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: All Saints Laleham

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Ashford

Listing Text

In the entry for
ABBEY DRIVE
Laleham
11/3
Lalelam Abbey

the item shall include the previous listing date:-
25.11.57

------------------------------------

ABBEY DRIVE
1.
5390
Laleham
Laleham Abbey
TQ 0568 11/3
II*

2.
1803-06, Architect J. B. Papworth for second Earl of Lucan. Altered (by Papworth)
in 1820s and 1830s. Two storeys on basement, stucco 2:1:2 bays with altered
sash windows; moulded cill strings, ground floor with brackets to windows.
Greek fret cornice; blocking course, returned. Central bay has a Greek Doric
portico with paired columns, steps to perron and half glazed door with enriched
cornice. Above is a tripartite window with brackets to mullions flanked by
T-plan pilasters with conical rainwater heads. Basement screened by solid
wall with moulded coping. Solid verandah to south, 5 window return and modern
chapel extension to south-east in matching style. Rear has 2:3:2 windows with
wide central bow with glazing bar sashes and flanking flat pilasters. Interior:
main feature is Thorvaldsen's frieze of Alexander's Triumph (copied from one
in the Quirinale) which is in the stair hall. This is a D-plan top-lit area
with cantilevered stone stairs and a massive fireplace below the frieze, on
either side of which are lobbies to dining room and drawing room. These and
the library retain much of the original plasterwork and fittings eg Greaco-
classical fireplace in apse in dining room. The house is entered through a
segmental barrel vaulted hall with 4 Ionic scagliola columns and angled side
walls. See VCH Middlesex Vol II p 397.


Listing NGR: TQ0521668194

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.