This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4358 / 51°26'8"N
Longitude: -0.523 / 0°31'22"W
OS Eastings: 502761
OS Northings: 171786
OS Grid: TQ027717
Mapcode National: GBR GBF.SQS
Mapcode Global: VHFTP.W5CP
Entry Name: The London Stone
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187015
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363203
Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW18
Electoral Ward/Division: Horton and Wraysbury
Built-Up Area: Egham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Staines
Church of England Diocese: London
ASHBY RECREATION GROUND
The London Stone
TQ 0271 9/5 11.8.52
Re-used, probably C17. Set on its present plinth 1826. It consists of a short
panelled pillar-altar with the letters ... 0D.PR ... on abacus. The panels
have to one side the City of London badge and to the other a monogram with
'R'. This stands on a panelled base with 3 steps. North face inscribed: "The
ancient stone above this inscription is raised upon this pedestal exactly on
the spot where it formerly stood. Inscribed ... City of London AD 1285."
West face inscribed "The Right Honourable William Venables Lord Mayor of London
and Conservator of the River of Thames viewed this western boundary of the
City's jurisdiction of the said River marked by the ancient stone raised upon
this pedestal. Erected AD 1285. On the 29th day of July AD 1826. God preserve
the City of London". Names of mariners are on the top step, including deputy
master of Trinity House.
Listing NGR: TQ0276171786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings