This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4364 / 51°26'11"N
Longitude: -0.5188 / 0°31'7"W
OS Eastings: 503056
OS Northings: 171865
OS Grid: TQ030718
Mapcode National: GBR GBF.TZ9
Mapcode Global: VHFTP.Y5M5
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187031
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363238
Location: Spelthorne, Surrey, TW18
Electoral Ward/Division: Staines
Built-Up Area: Staines
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Staines
Church of England Diocese: London
CHURCH OF ST MARY
TQ 0371 9/52 11.8.52
Present buff brick church 1828, as also most of its red brick tower (see vying
tablets on west and south fronts, the latter late C18 ascribing it to Inigo Jones.
Architect John Burges Watson.
The 5 stage tower is mostly in English bond with stone plinth, strings and modern
coping and parapet; corner buttresses, each stage slightly set off, the upper one
decorated; lancet windows, the belfry stage having large 2-light Y-pattern windows;
clock to south.
Five bay aisled nave with plinth cornice, string, crenillated parapet, dividing
buttresses and tall lancet windows with paired lights, Y-pattern heads and cusping.
Gabled south porch with half glazed door. Oculus in east gable. Lower one bay
aisled chancel with projecting shorter bay and later apse. Grade II* for tower
Listing NGR: TQ0305671865
Other nearby listed buildings