History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rowley Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crawley, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1417 / 51°8'30"N

Longitude: -0.1724 / 0°10'20"W

OS Eastings: 527944

OS Northings: 139635

OS Grid: TQ279396

Mapcode National: GBR JK6.C7H

Mapcode Global: VHGSP.YKQM

Entry Name: Rowley Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 June 1948

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187079

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363334

Location: Crawley, West Sussex, RH10

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley

Town: Crawley

Electoral Ward/Division: Northgate

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Crawley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Horley

Listing Text

5403 BRIGHTON ROAD
Lowfield Heath
Rowley Farmhouse
TQ 23 NE 3/80 21.6.48
II*

Late C16 timber framed early smoke bay house with cross passage behind the smoke bay altered and extended inC20. Before the alterations the house consisted of a main range lying north and south and a wing towards the north end of the west side projecting westward, both of 2 storeys with attics. Five bays. Ground floor post and pan timber framing with brick infill. First floor tile hung. Tiled roof. Wide chimneybreast surmounted by a pair of brick stacks of square section of circa 1700. The centre ground floor room as an C16 open fireplace and low chamfered joists. The framing with the mortices to the smoke bay remains. Moulded dais beam as in the back iof an open hall and panelling and a spere to keep out the draughts. Jowels to main upright posts. The front service room was converted into an elegant oine panelled parlour with a corner niche in the late C17. First floor bedroo, at north end now open to the roof. IN the north gable are remains of an atiice window with wooden mullions. Back detached kitchen of 2 bays with smoke blackened ratfters. The house was owned bu the Culpeper family.
(see Joan M Harding, "Four Centuries of Charlwood Houses" p 75.

Listing NGR: TQ2794439633

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.