History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crawley, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1162 / 51°6'58"N

Longitude: -0.1894 / 0°11'21"W

OS Eastings: 526827

OS Northings: 136771

OS Grid: TQ268367

Mapcode National: GBR JKD.T3K

Mapcode Global: VHGSW.N6RN

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 21 June 1948

Last Amended: 23 February 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187086

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363350

Location: Crawley, West Sussex, RH10

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley

Town: Crawley

Electoral Ward/Division: Northgate

Built-Up Area: Crawley

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Crawley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Crawley

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
5403
(east side)
No 101
(National Westminster Bank)
(formerly listed as
TQ 2636 NE 5/27 21.6.48 The Punch Bowl)
II*
2.
Early C15 timber-framed hall-house of Wealden type. Five bays in all. The hall of
2 bays. Two storeys timber-framed with plaster infilling and brick to ground floor on
stone base. Old tiled roof hipped at south end with gablet. External brick chimney
stack to north with semi-circular projection containing bread oven. Four renewed
casement windows. The upper storeys of the north and south ends are jettied and their
wall plates are extended in advance of the middle section and supported on curved
braces.
Hall of 2 bays with open timber roof, cambered tie-beam carrying plain King-post
supporting collar and central purlin. A chimney and floor inserted in C16 and extended
northward one bay within 100 years of the original buildings, contains ground and first
floor rooms, first floor oversailing to the south and underbuilt in brick in the late
Cl7 or early C18. Modern back additions to east. The building was once a farmhouse known
as The Mitchells.
(See V C H Sussex VII, 145
Sussex Archaeological Collections Vol LV (1912) pp 139-143, and Sussex County
Magazine iv 16, 17).


Listing NGR: TQ2682736771

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.