History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatwick Manor Inn hyders Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crawley, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1392 / 51°8'20"N

Longitude: -0.1842 / 0°11'3"W

OS Eastings: 527124

OS Northings: 139332

OS Grid: TQ271393

Mapcode National: GBR JK6.G8C

Mapcode Global: VHGSP.RMGL

Entry Name: Gatwick Manor Inn hyders Hall

Listing Date: 21 June 1948

Last Amended: 23 February 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187103

English Heritage Legacy ID: 363383

Location: Crawley, West Sussex, RH10

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley

Town: Crawley

Electoral Ward/Division: Northgate

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Crawley St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Crawley

Listing Text

LONDON ROAD
1.
5403
(east side)
Hyders Hall Gatwick Manor Inn
(formerly listed as Hyders
under Lowfield Heath)
TQ 23 NE 3/61 21.6.48
II*
2.
C15 open hall house altered circa 1600, 1700 and 1850. Formerly moated. Part of
the moat still exists on the west side. Two bay open hall of which one bay remains
with a cruciform crown post. (Extensions of 2 storeys red brick in English Bond
tiled roof to south. North it retains its Horsham stone slabs. Massive central
chimney-stacks. Three altered casements). At the west end the original panel and
post partition with moulded bressumer remains in situ. A floor was inserted
circa 1600 and a chimney constructed. At a later date the eastern portion of the
hall and the rest of the range east of it were demolished and a stone wall built
across the range a few feet east of the main truss dividing the hall. This wall of
local Sussex stone has galleting in its joints. The main truss with massive cambered
tie-beam, curved struts, crown post and 4 way struts to collar and central purlin
remains in a bedroom above the ground floor room on the east side. Tie beam of
western truss also exposed in west wall of bedroom. The ceiling in the ground floor
room inserted circa 1700 has stop chamfered cross beams and joists. In the north
wall towards the west end is a circa 1600 2 storey bay window with wood mullions,
ovolo section, 4 lights wide, surmounted by a gable with mantled bargeboard and
carved pendant. The original diamond mortices for the earlier tall hall window
remain. The timber framing and plaster infilling of the south wall of the hall range
can be seen from the passage behind the staircase. The 2 storey west end of the
C15 range was taken down and rebuilt circa 1850 in red brick. About 1600 a 2 storey
range with attics running east and west, was built parallel to the hall range a few
feet to the south and linked to it at the west. Brick walls with stone mullioned
windows. The 4 light window with transom and mullions of ovolo section in the upper
storey of the east wall is original. The windows in the south wall are modern but
the brickwork is original. Enough space was left between this range and the hall
for a projecting staircase to be constructed on the north side circa 1600. This
has turned balusters and newel posts with carved pendants and finials. The range is
divided by a central chimney, giving 2 rooms to each floor. The 2 east rooms, ground
and first floor, retain the original stone fireplaces with moulded jowls (double
ogee) and head of circa 1600. Ceilings have exposed joists. In the west ground
floor room are 2 moulded and stop chamfered ceiling beams. Oak chimney beam but
fireplace bricked up. C20 additions east of hall range and west end of north side.
A family De la Hyde and Atte Hyde occurs in documents of 1263, 1332 and 1378
(See Place - Names of Surrey).
(See Joan M Harding, "Four Centuries of Charlwood Houses" p 46).


Listing NGR: TQ2712439332

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.