This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1239 / 51°7'26"N
Longitude: -0.2194 / 0°13'9"W
OS Eastings: 524703
OS Northings: 137577
OS Grid: TQ247375
Mapcode National: GBR JKB.KBB
Mapcode Global: VHGSW.40VR
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 23 February 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 363397
Location: Crawley, West Sussex, RH11
County: West Sussex
Electoral Ward/Division: Ifield
Built-Up Area: Crawley
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Ifield St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
Parish Church of
TQ 23 NW 2/75 21.6.48
C13, C14 and C19. Comprises chancel, nave with north and south aisles of 3 bays,
north porch of timber and west tower. Nave and chancel C13, arcades and aisles
early C14. The tower was built in 1884. Walls of Tunbridge Wells and Colgate sandstones covered with modern rough-cast cement. The roofs of chancel and nave are now covered with tiles with shingled spire to tower. C14 nave roof of steep pitch, trussed rafters with tie-beams and tall King posts. Late C12 Sussex marble font. The screen at the west end of the north aisle is made from timber from the County Oak which stood on the County boundary on the main London Road and was felled in 1844. Interior contains 2 early C14 stone effigies of a knight and lady under the easternmost arches of the nave arcades, thought to be those of Sir John de Ifelde and his wife. Brass tablet on south wall of chancel to the brothers Makersyth, died 1592 and 1599. Tablets to Seyliard, Spencers and Lemins. The churchyard contains some good C18 chest tombs. Mark Lemon, the first editor of 'Punch' (1841-1870) is buried here.
Listing NGR: TQ2470137576
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings