This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.15 / 52°8'59"N
Longitude: -1.1568 / 1°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 457792
OS Northings: 250524
OS Grid: SP577505
Mapcode National: GBR 8TF.2CZ
Mapcode Global: VHCVY.W7T4
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 18 January 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187152
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360529
Location: Canons Ashby, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Canons Ashby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
19/39 Church of St. Mary
Church. C13, C14 tower, C15 west window, C16 east wall and south wall rebuilt
early C18. Ironstone ashlar with some limestone dressings, lead roofs. Nave,
north aisle, south-west tower. Tall 5-light arch-mullion east window with small
blocked pointed arch window above. To north, blocked many-moulded arch of
doorway to demolished cloister, with outer moulding on capital and shaft. South
wall of 2 bays, defined by Doric pilasters on high bases joined by chamfered
plinth, with plain band running between capitals, above 3-light arch-mullion
windows. Mid C14 north-west tower of 3 stages with angle buttresses to just
short of belfry stage, and with buttress to first stage in middle of sides, all
with crocketted tops. Blank arcading to base, continuing that of west front to
north aisle but with cusped heads, no capitals and trefoils in spandrels.
2-light Decorated window above middle buttress on west side and tall 2-light
Decorated belfry windows all with hood moulds. Belfry stage has chamfered angles
and a double row of ballflower ornaments. Battlemented parapet and large plain
pinnacles to angles with simple finials. West front of nave has Early English
portal of 4 orders with stiff-leaf capitals, richly moulded arch with nailhead
ornament within outer moulding, mostly broken. To left and right 2 bays of blank
arcading with clustered shafts, stiff-leaf capitals, moulded heads with inner
trefoil arches and narrow hood moulds with label stops. Above west door large
5-light Perpendicular window with flat ogee arch and hood mould with label stops
and crocketed finial. Nave front defined by offset buttresses. Square south-west
angle turret with incomplete octagonal top. Front of north aisle has 3 bays of
blank arcading continuing that of west front but with simpler moulded capitals.
1-light Early English window with outer shafts, capitals and many moulded head.
Head to window and of arcading are of contrasting white limestone. Interior:
stained glass east window of 1918. Wall painting surrounds head of east window
with cherubs holding back crimson draperies to reveal Holy Dove in sunburst
above window, c.1710. Balustered communion rail and panelled pulpit of same
date. 2-bay north aisle arcade. Arches have 3 hallow chamfers and conical
foot-pieces, octagonal piers to east, semi-circular middle pier and polygonal
shafted half-pillar to west. Double roll-moulded arch to north-west tower with
hood mould. To right blocked door to demolished cloister with shallow pointed
arch, roll-moulded. C19 tie-beam roof, lean-to roof to north aisle.
Perpendicular octagonal font with blank tracery panels, only one repeated. C18
and C19 wall monuments to Dryden family, 2 C16 brasses. Monuments to John Turner
Dryden, d.1797, to John Edward Turner Dryden d.1818, both by Rossi. Funeral
achievement of Sir Robert Dryden d.1708 comprising of banner, 2 pennons, helmet
and crest, wreath and mantling, tabard, shield, gauntlets, spurs and sword. Fine
series of eleven painted funeral hatchments. C17 chamber organ. The nave was
originally 96 feet long and followed by long aisless chancel. The Church is a
peculiar and the surviving portion of an Augustanian priory church).
(Buildings of England: Northants, 1973, pp.133,134).
Listing NGR: SP5779250524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings