This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0548 / 52°3'17"N
Longitude: 1.1516 / 1°9'5"E
OS Eastings: 616173
OS Northings: 244284
OS Grid: TM161442
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.3ZF
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.XM55
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275467
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/09/2012
TM 1644 SW 3/85
Church of St Nicholas
Church. Circa 1300, C15, refitted 1849 by W. R. Moffatt, the tower partly rebuilt 1886
by E.F. Bisshopp. Flint, stone, red brick, stone dressings, plaintile roofs,the aisles
leaded. West tower, continuous nave and chancel, north and south aisles, south porch
north vestry. Tower, C15, 4 stages, the belfry stage and embattled parapet rebuilt 1886
by E.F. Bisshopp. Stepped diagonal buttresses with flushwork panels; stair turret in
South East angle. West doorway multiple continous orders, one order with fleurons &
shields, shield and figures in the spandrels, hood moulded terminating in crowned
and winged lion stops. Flushwork cusped panels above, alternately bearing shields.
Tall west window, 3-light panel tracery, restored probably 1886, stone cill band and
band at stage level, which also continues to North and South faces. Single ringing chamber
lights beneath hood moulds. Paned belfry windows of 2 cusped lights beneath vesica
and separated by shaft surmounted by a cross. Continous band at cill level and at
springing of window arch. Flushwork parapet in 2 stages; a pair of quatrefoils to each
side of paired blank arches; above, flushwork panels, with figure to centre of each face.
Crocketed finials. Much of the tower refaced by E.F. Bisshopp. Nave. 4 bays.South
elevation 2 y-tracery windows, one 3-light intersecting tracery window restored C19,
one 3 light C19 perpendicular window. Diagonal buttresses at angles, straight buttresses
between windows. C19 brick porch with alternated shaped gable with rendered band
beneath coping. Outer doorway, multiple orders, including rounded shaft supporting
ovolo moulded arch. Pair of late C19 part glazed doors. Sundial on gable of porch.
Inner arch. 2 orders broad roll mouldings with scroll moulded hood with figure stop.
Probably C15 full dormer clerestory window but with C19 restoration, lighting rood.
North elevation similar but without porch; the north doorway is partly submerged
beneath ground level. Chancel. Diagonal buttresses. South: 3-light C19 Perpendicular
window. C19 porch and doorway. C19 east window, 3-light panel tracery, with
supermullions.and embattled transom. C19 vestry to north has simple 4-light window
beneath hood mould , shallow gable to north.
Interior 4 bay north and South arcades of quatrefoil arrised piers, with square fillets
to the diagonals. Deeply undercut cap mouldings; arch moulding of 2 orders separated
by a deep hollow. Chapel at east end of North aisle 1849 by W. R. Moffat of London
the arch to this and eastern South aisle chapel probably brought from the chancel.
Western responds of arcades rebuilt, probably 1880's. Tower arch, single chamfered
respond,multiple moulded arch. 4-central arched tower stair doorway. Tall cusped niche
to North wall, possibly reset. Shorter cusped niche or further piscina to east wall
of North aisle. Nave collar rafted roof, probably C14, restored 1849, moulded cornice and
wallplate. Chancel roof C19; aisle roofs are covered over. Pews C19, probably 1848 by
Henry Ringham, incorporating Jacobean style panelling, possibly reused. Fine Jacobean
pulpit with tester. Altar rail of early C18 moulded rail, balusters twisted as a vase, the
newels heavier, almost with a bulb. Octagonal font, each face a pair of blind cusped
sunk panels, flying angels to the soffit of the bowl;the stem probably C19, also
octagonal has angel or prophet at each angle; original octagonal base. East window 1904
by William Morris Pepper. South chapel, window, c1875 by O'Connor and Taylor. North and
Southaisles2 windows c1910-12 by T.F. Curtis, North Chapel window by King of Ipswich.
Tympanum and carved relief, c1120, re-sited in the church. The tympanum, carved on both
faces with inscription to main face with boar in centre, the reverse with an interlaced cross.
Carved relief, probably from former Church of St. Michael depicts St. Michael fighting
the dragon. Bells, one of 1630, by Miles Graye of Colchester, 4, of 1706 by Henry
Pleasant of Sudbury.
Munro Cantley, H. Suffolk Churches And Their Treasures ,1954; Riches, A. Victorian
Church Building And Restoration In Suffolk ,1982 ; Pevsner, N. Suffolk,1974; English
Romanesque Art 1066 - 1200 Haywood Gallery, 1984; personal comments, Ipswich Borough Council.
Listing NGR: TM1617344284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings