History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Oaks

A Grade II Listed Building in Graiseley, City of Wolverhampton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5845 / 52°35'4"N

Longitude: -2.1433 / 2°8'35"W

OS Eastings: 390385

OS Northings: 298535

OS Grid: SO903985

Mapcode National: GBR 18K.ZW

Mapcode Global: WHBFZ.19NG

Entry Name: The Oaks

Listing Date: 3 February 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187217

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378485

Location: Wolverhampton, WV3

County: City of Wolverhampton

Electoral Ward/Division: Graiseley

Built-Up Area: Wolverhampton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Central Wolverhampton

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wolverhampton

Listing Text


WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW MERRIDALE ROAD
895-1/5/269 (South side)
03/02/77 The Oaks

II

House, now flats. c1830. Stucco with hipped slate roof. 3
storeys; symmetrical 3-window range with 2-storey, 2-window
extension to right and C20 single-storey extension to front of
latter. Main part has curved flanking walls to forecourt,
quoins and top cornice and blocking course. Windows have
architraves and are sashed, those to ground floor have
friezes, consoled cornices and 4-pane horned sashes; those to
1st and 2nd floors have eared architraves, 16-pane sashes to
1st floor and central Venetian window with small-paned sashes;
square windows with 12-pane sashes to 2nd floor and central
Diocletian window with archivolt and 6-pane sash. Large
central entrance with half-glazed doors, side and overlights,
open C20 porch. Extension to right similar. Cross-axial stack
and stack to return. Left return similar, with large bow
window with paired flat pilasters; similar 2-storey bow window
to rear. Right return has large round-headed stair window with
tripartite sash and etched glass. INTERIOR has moulded cornice
and stick-baluster staircase to stairhall. The family home of
John Marston J.P., 1836-1918, founder of the Sunbeam Company,
Mayor and Freeman, and his son Sir Charles Marston, 1867-1946,
industrialist and author.


Listing NGR: SO9038598535

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.