History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Four Tombs Approximately 5 Metres to South and South East of Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgwater, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1277 / 51°7'39"N

Longitude: -3.0046 / 3°0'16"W

OS Eastings: 329797

OS Northings: 136972

OS Grid: ST297369

Mapcode National: GBR M5.98LV

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.VXYC

Entry Name: Four Tombs Approximately 5 Metres to South and South East of Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 31 January 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 373994

Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Bridgwater

Built-Up Area: Bridgwater

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bridgwater

Listing Text


BRIDGWATER

ST2936NE ST MARY STREET
736-1/11/185 (North side)
Four tombs approx. 5m to S and SE of
Parish Church of St Mary

GV II

Group of four tombs. Early C18 to mid C19. C18 tombs of
limestone and C19 tombs of cast iron. Chest tomb. 1711. Approx
4m south of the south aisle. Ham Hill stone, slightly hipped
top with rounded ends and moulded edge, cyma-moulded limestone
panels to the sides; Ham Hill stone to the ends, panelled to
the east end and with eroded carving, possibly an angel, to
the west end. Chest tomb. Early C18. Approx 14m from
south-east corner of the chancel. Moulded edges to the thick
flat top above a worn frieze, possibly dentilled. Moulded
plinth. 2 panels to each side with semicircular tops, one
panel to each end, all articulated by pilasters with recessed
panels. Two low narrow rectangular cast-iron tombs with
slightly pyramidal ends have inserted cast-iron panels with
raised letters at the centres; one approx 12m to south of the
chancel dated 1840 commemorates John and Elizabeth Leaker
dated 1840; the other approx 10m south of the chancel
commemorates John Edward Shrimpton d.1845.


Listing NGR: ST2979736972

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.