This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.629 / 52°37'44"N
Longitude: 1.2925 / 1°17'32"E
OS Eastings: 622920
OS Northings: 308560
OS Grid: TG229085
Mapcode National: GBR W8V.13
Mapcode Global: WHMTM.T5NW
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 26 February 1954
Last Amended: 8 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187384
English Heritage Legacy ID: 229121
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Mancroft
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Norwich St Peter, Mancroft with St John Maddermarket
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 2208 NE GUILDHALL HILL
15/367 (formerly listed under Market Place)
26.2.5 The Guildhall.
Former Guildhall, now Magistrates Court. C15 onwards with major additions in 1861
by Thomas Barry. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Low-pitch lead covered
roofs. Island site. South facade: 2 and 3 storeys. 6 bays with the right-hand
two bays recessed and dropped. C19 2-storied additions across 4½ bays with central
entrance having 2-centre arch on attached columns in buttressed tower. 3 bays
each side of tower with fortified ground-floor windows and traceried triangular
arch windows at first floor. Re-used C16 doorway at extreme left-side. 2-and 3-
light windows in mediaeval wall with traceried heads, Crenellated parapet with
C19 turret at east end. Fine moulded timber ceiling at first floor east with
pendants. Decorated linenfold panelling and carved bench-ends in same room.
Remains of mediaeval staircase arrangement immediately west of panelled room.
3-bay twin-aisled brick-built undercroft beneath the east end of the building.
3 large barrel-vaulted side chambers beneath the western half of the building.
Scheduled as an Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TG2292008560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings