History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Bridgwater, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1289 / 51°7'44"N

Longitude: -3.0011 / 3°0'4"W

OS Eastings: 330041

OS Northings: 137103

OS Grid: ST300371

Mapcode National: GBR M5.93J7

Mapcode Global: VH7DH.XWSF

Entry Name: Town Bridge

Listing Date: 16 December 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187392

English Heritage Legacy ID: 374010

Location: Bridgwater, Sedgemoor, Somerset, TA6

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor

Civil Parish: Bridgwater

Built-Up Area: Bridgwater

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Bridgwater

Listing Text


BRIDGWATER

ST3037 TOWN BRIDGE
736-1/6/193 Town Bridge
16/12/74

GV II

Town bridge. Dated 1883. By R C Else and G B Laffan and made
by George Moss of Liverpool. Rough ashlar limestone abutments,
Ham Hill stone piers, steel girders with cast-iron railings,
lamps and plaques. 7 segmental arches with diagonal trellised
spandrels support the single span road bridge with tarmac
suface flanked by pavements. To the centre of the outside
arches plaques with the town crest and the inscription
"Erected 1883. W T Holland, Mayor." The rectangular-section
piers to each corner have recessed panels and moulded cornices
to shallow-pitched tops. 12 sections of railings between the
piers and 2 sections curving away to the sides are articulated
by cast-iron columns with a spiral moulding. The railings are
joined in pairs by semicircular arches, reversed to the base,
which are linked to the handrail and plinth, each pair is
linked at impost level, and by a central horizontal rail with
spikes above and below, to the centre of each pair. The 4
columns at the extremities are octagonal with recessed panels
and pyramidal tops. On the piers are C20 restored cast-iron
lamps, and the central columns of the railings have bases to
former lamps. The original stone bridge was replaced by one
cast in Coalbrookdale in 1797, which was replaced by the
present structure.
(VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 195).


Listing NGR: ST3004137103

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.