History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

19 and 21, Castle Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Cirencester, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7166 / 51°42'59"N

Longitude: -1.9694 / 1°58'9"W

OS Eastings: 402211

OS Northings: 201988

OS Grid: SP022019

Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.6Y9

Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.T37W

Entry Name: 19 and 21, Castle Street

Listing Date: 14 June 1948

Last Amended: 24 May 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187426

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365169

Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Cirencester

Built-Up Area: Cirencester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cirencester

Listing Text


CIRENCESTER

SP0201 CASTLE STREET
578-1/6/31 (South side)
14/06/48 Nos.19 AND 21
(Formerly Listed as:
CASTLE STREET
No.19)

GV II

Shop, formerly house and subsequently garage. Probably C17
with alterations c1902 and 1924. One or both early C20 schemes
by VA Lawson. Coursed squared limestone rubble to right;
render over timber-framing to left; stone slate roofs; to left
ashlar right-end stack and ashlar stack to left end on front
slope, both with moulded tops; to right rendered brick
right-end stack.
Two buildings, timber-framed to left with 2 gables to front
has C17 origins, rubble to right with 2 gables to front
rebuilt; large late C20 extension to rear.
To left (19) 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range. First floor
has two oriel windows with 4 lights to front, single lights to
each side, all leaded; slender transom forms segmental arch
over 2 centre lights; hipped stone-slated hood to windows,
both have rendered bases. Two 2-light leaded windows in
moulded timber surrounds in gables above, each with single
oval windows in rectangular timber field with moulded surround
above.
Ground floor has oak shopfront c1924 with two 5 x 4-pane bow
windows flanking central 8-pane door with 5-pane overlight;
plank door with similar overlight to left has hand-made strap
hinges and latch; pilaster strips to far left and right and 4
square-section posts supporting oriel windows above; frieze
with moulded top continues around oriels and has carved
lettering in relief to front of each oriel WH SMITH & SON.
Moulded cill band to first floor; 3 carved brackets to left
and right and centre support moulded barge boards to gables
with pierced and shaped pendants at apex. Moulded leadwork
with applied cast-lead decoration including shells, animals
and stylised foliage consists of square section down-pipes to
left and right (to left partially attached to The Black Horse,
No.17 Castle Street (qv)) with 5 hoppers, gutter across front
above first floor to drain oriel roof.
Building to right is 3 storey, 2-window. First floor has two
C20 chamfered stone mullion and transom windows with leaded
lights with hoodmoulds; 2 similar windows above. Ground floor
has oak frieze and cornice with lettering similar to No.19,
shopfront now consists of small plate glass window and 3 pairs
of glazed swing doors. Blind oval windows in rusticated
surrounds in gables; gables have moulded coping. Flush quoins
to left and right angles.
INTERIOR has fitting-out of c1924 with later alterations; oak
beams and timber framing with large light-well to centre with
timber mullion windows with leaded lights looking into it at
first floor level. Sections of plaster frieze at top of
light-well possibly early work re-used. Upper floors not
inspected.
Building to left (No.19) originally house of Vampage family;
saved from demolition after public outcry and converted into
garage by WG Bridges c 1902; converted into shop by W H Smith
1924-5 when efforts of SPAB saved plasterwork spread-eagles,
badge of Vampage family, on fronts of oriels and moderated
other proposals; plasterwork now gone.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds: London: 1970-: P.173; Viner DJ: Cirencester As It
Was: Nelson, Lancashire: 1983-: P.31).


Listing NGR: SP0221101988

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.