History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weavers Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cirencester, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7194 / 51°43'9"N

Longitude: -1.9707 / 1°58'14"W

OS Eastings: 402121

OS Northings: 202295

OS Grid: SP021022

Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.0MJ

Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.S1JR

Entry Name: Weavers Hall

Listing Date: 14 June 1948

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365445

Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Cirencester

Built-Up Area: Cirencester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cirencester

Listing Text


CIRENCESTER

SP0202 THOMAS STREET
578-1/4/307 (North side)
14/06/48 Nos.4 AND 6
Weavers Hall

GV II*

Also known as: St Thomas's Hospital.
Almshouse. Late C15; founded by Sir William Nottingham before
1483. Coursed limestone rubble; stone slate roof with coped
verges; stone right-end stack enlarged in brick, brick
left-end stack. Through-passage plan, now one house to each
side.
2 storey 4-window range. First floor has 4 small fixed light
and casement windows with splayed reveals; ground floor has 3
similar windows and one 2-light chamfered stone mullion-and-
transom window with leaded upper lights to right; central
boarded studded door with iron strap hinges in chamfered
reveal with Tudor arched head; draped figure over door,
defaced. Shallow plinth; rudimentary quoins to left and right
angles.
INTERIOR of through passage only inspected; similar door to
far end, passage formed by plank and muntin screen to each
side, chamfered beam. Plaque records house to left altered
1986 by Eric Cole and Partners. Also known as St Thomas's
Hospital, after which Thomas Street re-named, founded by Sir
William Nottingham, Attorney-General to Edward IV, who in his
will of 1483 left land in trust for 4 poor men living here.
Baptist services said to have been held here later; John
Wesley preached here 1787. Said to be oldest domestic building
in Cirencester, continuously occupied since foundation.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The
Cotswolds: London: 1970-: P.178; Welsford J: Cirencester: A
History and Guide: Gloucester: 1987-: P.57; Plate attached to
building).


Listing NGR: SP0212102295

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.