History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

64, Brunswick Street West

A Grade II Listed Building in Brunswick and Adelaide, The City of Brighton and Hove

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8256 / 50°49'32"N

Longitude: -0.1601 / 0°9'36"W

OS Eastings: 529684

OS Northings: 104505

OS Grid: TQ296045

Mapcode National: GBR JP3.2CW

Mapcode Global: FRA B6KX.FG9

Entry Name: 64, Brunswick Street West

Listing Date: 24 March 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1187545

English Heritage Legacy ID: 365498

Location: Brighton and Hove, BN3

County: The City of Brighton and Hove

Electoral Ward/Division: Brunswick and Adelaide

Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hove St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Brighton & Hove

Listing Text


HOVE

TQ2904NE BRUNSWICK STREET WEST
579-1/19/21 (West side)
24/03/50 No.64

GV II

Town hall, now snooker club. 1855-6, ground floor altered late
C19. Built by a Mr Russell for the Brunswick Commissioners.
Render over rubble and brick, quoins, roof concealed behind
parapet. Abutting buildings to north and south and set
directly onto street front. 3 storeys, 2 bays, 8-pane sash
windows set in moulded surrounds on second floor, first floor
pilaster architraves carry segmental and angular pediments,
flat string, rusticated ground floor with 6 openings,
many-paned cast-iron fixed light windows in first, third,
fourth and fifth bays left, square-headed entrances in second
and sixth bays, the latter with a 6-panel door, the former
without a door, opening onto a lobby with C20 panelled doors
and cast-iron bracket lamp. Built by the Brunswick
Commissioners and known as Brunswick Town Hall, the building
passed in 1873 to the Hove Commissioners and became Hove Town
Hall until 1882 when a new Town Hall was constructed; (this
building by Alfred Waterhouse was demolished after a fire).


Listing NGR: TQ2968404505

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.